• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 changes to basic scheme with GPU CPU overload

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kalosbas

Registered
Hey guys,

This thing occurred only twice in the last month, and i couldnt find solutions on the interwebs. Basically my screen goes black for a second or two, then windows changes to basic scheme, theres a weird but subtle noise coming from my gpu (maybe one of its three cooling fans, i couldnt tell), and both gpu and cpu start to overload and heat up really fast.

Both times i restarted immediately and the problem was solved.

Anyone had this before?

My system is

mobo P7H55-M
CPU i5-760 2.8 Ghz
GPU Gigabyte GTX-580
RAM Corsair XMS-3 4x2GB
OS Windows 7 64bit
HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Cheers

You can adjust this under Control Panel -> Performance Information and Tools -> Adjust Visual Effects. By default if your system is under a lot of strain, it'll try to keep things going smoothing by disabling gpu acceleration and the aero interface.

Do you mean the "adjust the appearance and performance of windows" settings? Which visual effects should i remove? Btw this happened at times where i was just reading stuff on Chrome and vlc was playing a video, so my pc strain was something above idle.

Do you mean the "adjust the appearance and performance of windows" settings? Which visual effects should i remove? Btw this happened at times where i was just reading stuff on Chrome and vlc was playing a video, so my pc strain was something above idle.

That's what I mean. If you don't want aero to go away just select "adjust for best appearance".

With vlc running your gpu might be hitting a spike that triggers it. Can't always expect windows to handle things perfectly! :p

Back