• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 Defrag Software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SMOR3S

Lately I have been using Smart Defrag, but in the past I have used O&O, Diskeeper, Perfect Disk, Auslogics, and even the built in Windows Defrag Tool.

Just wondering what everyone uses around here on the forums. Also, if you could specify an adequate reason, to why you prefer that certain software.

Thanks,

- SMOR3S

I would search the forum while you are waiting for more replies as this has been covered quite a bit. I would look in the Storage section as this has little to do with the Operating System (section you posted in).

That said, for mechanical drives, I used Auslogics.

I would search the forum while you are waiting for more replies as this has been covered quite a bit. I would look in the Storage section as this has little to do with the Operating System (section you posted in).

That said, for mechanical drives, I used Auslogics.

Auslogics is one of my favorites, used it the most out of any defrag software probably.

Defragger

I like PerfectDisk 12 myself.. I have never seen it once slow this down running a background process. Used UltraDefrag for awhile... Perfect Disk keeps my drive at 0.1% fragmentation and has special options for SSD's.. (which i don't have yet)

I used to use O&O and Diskeeper on XP, but with 7 I just let the OS use its built-in tool instead. It'll ignore SSD's while doing its runs (run the Windows Experience Index), and seems to work well-enough without any input so I haven't bothered with an alternative. Overall it's a pretty nice solution.

Admins... poll?

Perfect Disk all the way, it's enterprise level software.

Hope you're not "defragging" your SSD :p

I like PerfectDisk 12 myself.. I have never seen it once slow this down running a background process. Used UltraDefrag for awhile... Perfect Disk keeps my drive at 0.1% fragmentation and has special options for SSD's.. (which i don't have yet)

I read up on the SSD options for PD 12 and it's pointless. GC and TRIM take care of it better then PD would, with less risk.

I don't think a poll is appropriate. There are too many options and it has been extensively discussed in other threads.

I'm a fan of Auslogics due to its extremely fast defrag speed. Not to mention its free. Likewise Auslogics Screensaver Defrag is great too ;)

Last edited:
I used to use O&O and Diskeeper on XP, but with 7 I just let the OS use its built-in tool instead. It'll ignore SSD's while doing its runs (run the Windows Experience Index), and seems to work well-enough without any input so I haven't bothered with an alternative. Overall it's a pretty nice solution.

+1

Ever since Win7 I haven't touched a defrag tool. Well, let me take that back...I used to use Diskeeper on XP and when I tried it on Win7 there wasn't any fragmentation, so I uninstalled it.

Win7 takes care of business...no need for a 3rd party tool imo.

Maybe I'm out of date but I have been using this defrag for years, has anyone had issue's with why it shouldn't be used ?

I've always found it convenient myself.

http://www.mydefrag.com/

Of course I currently am not using a SSD I guess .

:beer:

Last edited:
Diskeeper

I use Diskeeper on my computers and server. It's completely automatic, handles and prevents fragmentation and the latest version even handles SSDs with technology called HyperFast. :comp:

-Alex

At work we used Diskeeper. We had some problems with some apps not liking the continuous protection, namely AutoCAD Inventor, but otherwise it worked well. That being said, I have gone to just the built in Windows 7 defrag. It is smart enough to ignore SSDs and lets you set a daily schedule.

Back