• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 EXTREMELY SLOW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killynathan

Hello, my 5 month old asus laptop was running fine until about 2 days ago. I am pretty sure i did not download anything. It is so slow it takes about 20 mins to boot and i cannot even open the windows tab without the whole thing freezing. When the computer is booting, it makes a weird sound and while it is running up it will be on the loading windows screen forever and the screen will turn grey and black. Anyone know what the problem is and how to fix??
thanks

Trojan from the net ? How large is your HDD and how much have you "consumed"? What condition is your AV package (updated, neglected)?

Sorry but how is the hard drive bad when my laptop is barely half a year old?
Also, this wad an overnight thing... How does the hard drive just die out like that

My 10" Asus 1001px had a bad hard drive early on; replaced it with an ssd and never looked back. I'm posting on it atm.

Also, this wad an overnight thing... How does the hard drive just die out like that

i have seen it happen many many MANY times at my job with client computers. Hard drives can go bad and often go bad in laptops... all it takes it one small bump in the wrong way.

an easy way to check is grab seatools from seagates website

http://www.seagate.com/support/inte...-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

click accept -> then click download in step 4 to download the ISO.

Burn the ISO with imgburn or the win 7 built in ISO burning software... boot off the CD and run the seatools long test on the hard drive.... if it passes it passes, if it fails then its a bad hdd... doesnt matter if you have a seagate hdd or not.

Sounds like a failing HDD to me to...

Hardware is kinda unpredictable, when you think about it, they are mashing out 1000s of these things at a time. I once had a hard disk that failed 6 days after I bought it, returned it, and the re-placement is going strong 2 years later.

Most of the time with an HDD they will have very subtle anomalies until BOOM no more...

SPI engines are known to run fine... Until the next time you start them, and suddenly, no compression!

i have seen it happen many many MANY times at my job with client computers. Hard drives can go bad and often go bad in laptops... all it takes it one small bump in the wrong way.

an easy way to check is grab seatools from seagates website

http://www.seagate.com/support/inte...-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

click accept -> then click download in step 4 to download the ISO.

Burn the ISO with imgburn or the win 7 built in ISO burning software... boot off the CD and run the seatools long test on the hard drive.... if it passes it passes, if it fails then its a bad hdd... doesnt matter if you have a seagate hdd or not.

^this!

and even things like the laptop design come in to play... one of the companies i worked for had a HUGE issue with laptops where the drives would die in 6 months to a year. we found it was due to a design flaw with certain model of HP laptops where they were put too close to the CPU with poor ventilation and the heat was killing
the drives.

As others have mentioned you simply cannot predict the lifespan of a drive. I've had drives die within weeks of owning them. I also have drives over a decade old. My Raptor drive, I expect it to outlast me. Which as been in service 24/7, for near about 7 years now.

A drive making odd sounds. Is it telling you. Time to get a new drive and transfer data to the new one. Three weeks ago. I had.. Had a drive make sputtering sounds in my wife's machine. I could hear it spinning up and parking repeatedly. Waiting for payday, I pulled it out of service. When I went to plug it back in. It never was able to read the platters or detect. I just makes sharp clunking sounds now. So when I pulled the cover off the dead drive. I noticed the spindle was cracked. (Yes, I love the magnets out of dead drives.)

I dug up a slow drive issue I had. The drives died not long after me posting. I am posting (now,) on most the of the hardware in that thread.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681678

Last edited:
It is so slow it takes about 20 mins to boot .

while it is running up it will be on the loading windows screen forever and the screen will turn grey and black.

Or you just need to wipe the HDD. That just happened to my sister's Acer laptop.
She said that it happened after it lost power.

My sister's Seagate laptop HDD had a particularly bad case of bit rot.
Bit rot also causes the HDD SMART to report phantom "UNC"s.

I seen "UNC"s go away after wiping a hard disk drive.

Boot into the recovery console and use chkdsk /r.

It will check your hardrive for corruption and fix most problems.

Most likely you have corrupted some files and they need to be relocated or fixed.

You can also run sfc /scannow from a Command box but after you run chkdsk /r first.

You should run chkdsk/f on a regular basis to ensure file integrity.

Back