• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 Install Needs Optical Drivers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyerker

So, trying to install Windows 7 from a DVD burned from the legit Win 7 Pro x64 ISO, I get a message saying I don't have drivers for my optical drive.

Is this firmware update what I need?
http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-UH12NS30

If not, what kind of driver do I need to download? I currently have a functional Mint going, so I should be able to download a driver there and access it during the install, if necessary.

Just wondering what I need to download to get the right Drivers for this Blu Ray so I can install Windows 7.

Seems like a strange issue to have.. something is off. If you can get into the windows installer, then obviously your optical drive is functioning. I'd try re-downloading and re-burning the image.

What kind of drive? SATA? Is it plugged into a NATIVE SATA port to the chipset? Meaning the INtel/AMD ports, and not 3rd party ports that require setup?

The drive is SATA 3, plugged in to one of the 6 onboard SATA 3 ports clustered at the bottom right. I've been able to install Linux of varying Distros without issue. I also installed Windows 7 previously from a different disk.

The ISO I'm using is this one: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24284.iso

From what I can tell this is a legit Microsoft ISO. Burned it with IMGBurn. It takes a long time to load the installer (talking like 5-10 minutes) and then when I go to install, I get this driver message.

Last edited:
That board only has native SATA ports, so SATA drivers shouldn't be an issue.

Have you tried putting the ISO onto a USB stick instead of a DVD?

Pretty generic error Win 7 is giving you.

First and foremost is to make sure you have a g00d ISO of Win 7 for use.

The error you are seeing is pretty generic and has been around off and on since the release of Win 7. Since so many systems no longer have an optical drive in them anyway, I moved to installing Win 7 using a Usb stick. Quicker than DVD install anyway. Use only Usb 2.0 port on the mobo. Usb 3.0 port on mobo will not work.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/a/install-windows-7-usb.htm
How To Install Windows 7 From USB
A Tutorial on Using a USB Flash Drive To Install Windows 7

The tutorial will walk thru using the tool below.
Download the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool << that tool will put Win 7 ISO on a Usb stick and should bypass all that driver crap.
RGone...

Download the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool << that tool will put Win 7 ISO on a Usb stick and should bypass all that driver crap.
RGone...

Will the ISO this application uses work for installing 7 Pro, or is it strictly Home Premium or Ultimate?

I was thinking a USB stick may be the best option at this point, so I will try that when I get home tonight and see.

Finally getting all my drives partitioned properly and cleaned up will be so nice! I've been working on crappy redone Partition Tables for far too long. FORMAT EVERYTHING!

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll keep you all posted.

The Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool works for any 7 installation, and I think it even works for 8/8.1

The error you are seeing is pretty generic and has been around off and on since the release of Win 7. Since so many systems no longer have an optical drive in them anyway, I moved to installing Win 7 using a Usb stick. Quicker than DVD install anyway. Use only Usb 2.0 port on the mobo. Usb 3.0 port on mobo will not work.

Best Advice . That is what i did the last 4 times I had to do a fresh install Os 7 64

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/a/install-windows-7-usb.htm
How To Install Windows 7 From USB
A Tutorial on Using a USB Flash Drive To Install Windows 7

RGone...

Back