• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 - random freezes on first screen language screen after booting.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sew333

Hello. I have a question about Windows 7 installation. I am using usb booting from pendrive. Sometimes when i am booting from usb windows 7 , on 1 screen when you choose language there is a freez , no keyboard working and no mouse. I must use hard reset. Is this something to worry about?
I am using stock system, 4790k, 16gb DDR 1600mhz, Saberooth Z97 Mark 2. But no errors in memtest86.

Sounds like there is a problem with your install media? If you can remake it then that might solve the problem. If it can't be remade, I would keep pushing until I finally got installed - then make a new install stick. Technically I suppose if you get fully installed you should be 'good to go' but I would do the extra step just for piece of mind. Who knows what other small corruptions and bugs might have crept into the install media?

I want to be sure that all is ok with memory. When I get to the language selection the mouse and keyboard stop working and no cursor appears, they both work in bios so I don't know what the issue is. Then i must use hard reset. Its totally random but always work after second boot.

The only way I know of to test the memory is memtest86+ and it doesnt run inside the OS anyway. You should be able to find it with a quick search and drop it onto a USB stick. If you can pass a few tests of memtest then you can be a bit more confident about your memory, and if you want to be absolutely certain then you can leave it to run over night. There are probably other ways to test memory, but I think they might need the presence of an OS to operate

Memory likely wouldn't cause that issue. I would bet it's in the install media or something.

As was said in your other threads about memory we closed, your memory is fine.

Back