• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 wont allow me to install OS onto SSD's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Windows does not have a problem, that I ran into, installing windows on a single drive when there is more than one drive in the system. I just did it like 4 days ago in fact.

Windows does not have a problem, that I ran into, installing windows on a single drive when there is more than one drive in the system. I just did it like 4 days ago in fact.

+1

Most of the systems I have installed Windows 7/8 on have multiple drives. Haven't ran into a problem yet :D

Hi Guys,

Made a little progress today but not exactly problem solved really.

I managed to get windows to see the drive by booting up my Sata drive into windows. I changed the BIOS from IDE to AHCI and changed the registry setting so it would boot properly.

I only plugged one of the SSD drives in to see if it was visible, and sure enough it has appeared in Disk Management.

Its currently showing as not Initialized, and come up with a popup box asking if i want to create and MBR or logical volume on the drive. I get the following error:

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

If i look in Device manager, i can see a drive listed in there, SS161512 11893005 ATA drive

Also something in Other devices "Unknown Device" which im not sure about.

Getting properly stumped now

There's a hardware problem.

This won't solve the problem, but we can eliminate the SSDs - hook the SSDs into the black ports, see if disk management will see them, make them active - simple volume, If that works & you then have 2 formatable drives, we go to the next step.

OK listen you need to set the BIOS to RAID not AHCI and then configure the RAID with Ctrl+I before you ever get to widnows. Once you have done that you can initializer the RAID arrray as a drive and creat a MBR partition. You are getting ahead of yourself.

Several people including myself have outlined what you need to do already... you need to go back and read our instructions.

lol.

OP has enable RAID in BIOS.

He has successfully entered the Intel RAID Setup from the BIOS. His problem is that Intel RAID Setup is unable to set his two drives as a RAID array. Period. Therefore Win7 doesn't properly recognize the hDDs.

This could be caused by one of two things:

A) Software issue (i.e. bios version a bit buggy - possibly needs a bios update - which i recommended earlier)
B) Hardware issue - SSDs might be faulty or motherboard may be faulty (which I doubt).

lol.

OP has enable RAID in BIOS.

He has successfully entered the Intel RAID Setup from the BIOS. His problem is that Intel RAID Setup is unable to set his two drives as a RAID array. Period. Therefore Win7 doesn't properly recognize the hDDs.

This could be caused by one of two things:

A) Software issue (i.e. bios version a bit buggy - possibly needs a bios update - which i recommended earlier)B) Hardware issue - SSDs might be faulty or motherboard may be faulty (which I doubt).

I believe "A" is the problem - The OP has an "unknown device" in the device manager & he gets an IO error w/disk management w/1 disk connected.
In the device manager, under "disk controllers ( IDE, SATA.ATA whatever )" there should be a reference to the "Intel" component - if not there, it would be listed somewhere else. Regardless that hardware is not recognized by the OS.
Even though the bios sees the drives, it's still possible the controller is bad - software or not. As others have said this may be an old school, add the driver during the install - it's been at least 5 years since the last time I've had to do that.
Bottom line - IMHO the drives need to be eliminated as a problem.

Only way to test the drives are to install them on a separate machine, which it appears OP has not done.

He could put them on the SATA3 ports or disable raid in the bios & try the white SATA6, I'm not sure where the OP is - I know 1 of the SSD is seen by the OS, whether raid is enabled is unclear ( with 1 drive ) - that would be the IO error if raid is on.....

Back