• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 x64 Lag

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dandaman993

Registered
Hi Guys,

I have just finished my new build and finally got Windows 7 installed. Unfortunately it seems once 1 problem is fixed another arrises.

My windows is lagging when its basically doing nothing. mouse lags when moving and if sound is playing it keeps stuttering and then going back to normal.

My Spec

Asus P8P67 Pro
Intel core I5 3350P 3.1GHZ
12GB (3 x4gb) 1600mhz
Nvidia 550ti 1GB
Samsung 1TB HardDrive

All drivers are fully upto date and windows is fully updated. I have reset the BIOS, unistalled all windows updates and reinstalled them, unistalled all drivers and reinstalled them and done a system restore but still it lags.

Reinstalling Windows is out of the question as I don't have time to do it so dont suggest that. It must be fixable within windows without a reset.

Hi Guys,

I have just finished my new build and finally got Windows 7 installed. Unfortunately it seems once 1 problem is fixed another arrises.

My windows is lagging when its basically doing nothing. mouse lags when moving and if sound is playing it keeps stuttering and then going back to normal.

My Spec

Asus P8P67 Pro
Intel core I5 3350P 3.1GHZ
12GB (3 x4gb) 1600mhz
Nvidia 550ti 1GB
Samsung 1TB HardDrive

All drivers are fully upto date and windows is fully updated. I have reset the BIOS, unistalled all windows updates and reinstalled them, unistalled all drivers and reinstalled them and done a system restore but still it lags.

Reinstalling Windows is out of the question as I don't have time to do it so dont suggest that. It must be fixable within windows without a reset.

Asking for a fix and then barring perhaps the most relevant suggestion is silly, but I don't think that its the Windows install giving you trouble. The staggering with sound and responsiveness points to a very familiar problem...

I'm going to ask that you first check your PSU cable connections, make sure they're very well secured, and there's nothing frayed or awry. Do you have access to another power supply? I'd highly recommend testing a different PSU, just to check if this is the problem.

Edit: I'm going off the assumption that all device drivers are up-to-date and working as intended, and that there's nothing obviously wrong with any of the hardware, like bulging caps or something knocked loose.

Im running a brand new OCZ 700w PSU, all connections are securely attached and all cables are intact and the reason im not reinstalling windows again is because it took me over a month to install it before hand

3x4gb on P67 mean you dont run dual chanel anymore, Try with only 2 stick on the right slot for clean dual chanel operation. Also, you could memtest the ram just to make sur it run fine.

Then we can move on to next step.

Why did it take you over a month to install it before? Were you loading it from floppy disks?

Why did it take you over a month to install it before? Were you loading it from floppy disks?

This.

And you should definitly try testing individual RAM sticks, and also a different PSU if you could. Staggering, partial device failure / stagnation, etc, is quite indictive of a PSU problem. If you can try it, you should try it.

I've seen this issue once before, but it was with Windows XP and it was because the Hard disk controllers were set to PIO mode 0 in device manager. I don't believe this can even be set that low in Windows 7, and doubt it would be that way with a fresh install. I then tend to agree with start testing hardware, strip the system down to its bare essentials, single stick of ram, single or no video card if you have onboard video, as few hard drives as possible, no optical drives, double check all your power connections.

I've seen this issue once before, but it was with Windows XP and it was because the Hard disk controllers were set to PIO mode 0 in device manager. I don't believe this can even be set that low in Windows 7, and doubt it would be that way with a fresh install. I then tend to agree with start testing hardware, strip the system down to its bare essentials, single stick of ram, single or no video card if you have onboard video, as few hard drives as possible, no optical drives, double check all your power connections.

Windows XP was in PIO mode because it had ATA bus errors.

Windows XP was in PIO mode because it had ATA bus errors.

Actually the Windows XP machine I saw that was like this something had changed it over to PIO, changing it back to DMA worked flawlessly, I hadn't seen any bus errors with it.

Actually the Windows XP machine I saw that was like this something had changed it over to PIO, changing it back to DMA worked flawlessly, I hadn't seen any bus errors with it.

When Windows goes to PIO mode, they're should also be ATA errors in the event log, possibly several.

And you can expect a "Delayed write failed" pop-up too.

That's all Windows' way of telling the user of an ATA cable or contact problem.

have you tried using just 1 stick of ram and also booting safemode? what is your processor and ram usage showing when the "lagging" happens

Have you ever tried one single thing we asked you ?

Running only 1 stick of ram and testing all stick/slot with memtest. PLZ. Dont ask for help if you dont want help.

With 1 stick it lags, with 2 sticks it lags, with 3 sticks it lags. in different slots it lags. It cant be hardware as it has been tested for no errors

When you loaded drivers, did you load them from the cd provided with the motherboard, or did you download the latest drivers from the manufacturers website?

If you go into the Windows device manager are there any devices with a yellow exclamation point?

Have you tried running the system with only the onboard video?

Have you opened up the event viewer to see if anything reported would cause the lag?

The drivers were downloaded from the ASUS website for the specific mobo.

I have had it running to the side and svchost.exe seems to be running high (140,00k)

Where can I find the LIVE CD/DVD Linux?

Back