• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 blue screen loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

untoldxcarbon

Registered
Hello ever since i downloaded gta v on steam ive been having issues where when i restart my pc it blue screens and i then do a restore point and it works again. Recently i installed the amd 15.4 beta driver and after restarting my pc i now am back to the blue screens, but now it goes in a loop where it just restarts and never brings me to the safe mode menu. I've tried everything i could think of from using f8, shift + f8, having my install disk in and not in. If anyone has any ideas on what is going on would be great. Also my install disk is windows 8, but I updated to 8.1 when it first came out if that helps.

I have 8.1 I just want to at this point be able to clear my hard drive and just start a fresh os, but i cant figure out how to do so.

You mean you want to do a fresh form scratch reinstall of Windows 8.1? That should be easy.

Just pop the install disk into the DVD drive and boot from it. You may need to go into bios to make sure the DVD is the first boot drive or if you have a hot key to choose the boot drive use that. When you get to the install screen that asks you to choose what kind of installation you want, choose "Custom". At that same screen you can also choose to first delete existing partitions which is what I always do before installing.

I just tried that and it does the press a key to boot from dvd, then it sits there with the windows logo on the screen, and after a minute the blue screen appears and my computer restarts.

Are you sure your hard drive isn't dying? Or that your DVD drive isn't going bad? Kind of sounds like the Winows 8.1 install disk can't find another drive to use for install. Also, check your 8.1 install DVD disk for scratches and smudges. Wipe it vigorously with as soft cloth to clean or buff it if necessary.

Also, try resetting the CMOS to restore bios to default values.

What about the health of your PSU? When PSU's are going bad the symptom can often be that they cannot complete a boot into Windows.

Please add the make, model and wattage of your PSU into your Sig.

Last edited:
Back