• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 botched graphics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coty0010

Okay so here's the deal, I gave my brother my old rig:

PSU: Corsair cx430
MotherBoard: ECS HT2000 (GeForce 6100SM)
RAM: 2x2GB G.Skill 800
CPU: AMD Athlon 4800+
SSD: HDD failed, so I threw my new slightly used SANDISK 32GB init
COOLER: Some cooler master tripple heat pipe 92mm tower cooler
Graphics: MSI GT240 (This card made me fall into love with MSI)
OS: Windows Vista 64bit (Ran like a beast on this machine)

So after the HDD failed my brother, after seeing that windows 8 could be "modded" to have a classic start menu (I didn't try to convince him, I actually advised to save his money and stick with vista). Decided to upgrade to windows 8, so he bought it, and installed it for him.

Directly after installing it booted up, but did not look right, everything was overlapping its self, the mouse didn't move, it just copied it's self as it moved leaving a trial of its-self as it moved (remember the OLD LCDs anyone ;) ) It honestly looked like card was failing. Boot into Linux, cards fine!

Okay what about on board graphics? Yep! Alright so... I tried installing the NVidia driver despite barely being able to see what I was doing, the screen went black and after a few mins the system (I assume) BSODed. So I tried safe mode (man safe mode has changed), nogoto. So I tried compatibility mode, nope, disabled on board, results were null... Tried to run in compatibility mode, nope! Tried uninstalling default windows driver, no again! Fresh install, nope!

Okay, so to google, seemed like I wasn't the only one with the problem rolling a gt240, So I decided to be nice and buy my brother a refurbished evga gt 640 2gb since it was only $65 on newegg (Sexy looking card btw).

aaaand... THE SAME THING! Alright Alright, maybe something with the motherboard, I'd been so focused on being able to see what I was doing I hadn't installed the chipset drivers yet... I used windows 7 64bit because there was no win8 option... They installed just fine, so I restarted, tried to install the drivers again and... Another what I assume was a BSOD...

My mind is fried, If anyone has any ideas, I don't bite, unless you happen to be a big ol' steak :D

Last edited:
Have you been completely wiping drivers before trying to re-install? That is, have you been using driver sweeper to remove existing graphics drivers?

No I haven't, I wasn't actually aware of this, I'll try it. I have been checking clean install on the driver installer though... Don't know if there will be much difference :shrug:

Most of the time the installer will miss removal of crucial files that can cause issues such as the one you are having now. It is definitely a good way of ruling out any driver conflicts.

Still not working, I may try to do another fresh install, run driver cleaner to try to rid stock windows crummy driver, then try again... Or safe mode, manage, uninstall, reboot, install... -_-*

EDIT:

I just want to add for anyone that runs across this thread looking for a solution that while as I never found a way to solve this issue, it appears that this problem has been solved in windows 8.1.

Last edited:
Back