• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 Release Preview

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neo668

Installed the RP and here's my first impression.

It's not as responsive as CP and tells me that my Acronis TIH is "not compatible". Acronis worked fine on CP. Had it installed for around 2 hours before I decided to remove it completely.

So removed it and am now doing a fresh install of Windows 7. This I won't have to remove when the Win 8 evaluation period is over. I'm not going to waste money on Win 8 that's for sure.

"Microsoft quietly revealed this week that it will kill off the Aero glass interface in Windows 8 and replace it with a flat, Metro-like Explorer that’s more in line with the company’s current design mantra."

MS might have done this, but there are things called themes? lol.

It's not as responsive as CP.

What are you finding isn't responsive?

I personally am really digging the RP installed on a physical machine --- I ran the DP & CP as VM's and found it hard to get things done. For me the RP has been quick & snappy. I'm finding that I'm no longer having trouble navigating the menu's, start screen, running apps & desktop mode like I felt I did before. Really like ability to hover over the "start corner" then move the mouse up to unveil thumbnails of running apps, then by right clicking you have the ability to close or "snap" these appps to either side of the screen.

I haven't tried testing app compatibility yet, but I would kind of expect there to be some issues at this point.

What are you finding isn't responsive?

Firstly, the RP took much longer to install even though it was a fresh install. Then it took longer to boot into Windows. And every time I tried to open an app there seemed to be a lag. CP was much better in these respects. But then, maybe it's my hardware.

im still not sold on windows 8, i will stay with 7 until i feel i need a change of pace. Perhaps once i start using it my mind will change and I will upgrade.

Back