• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 Stuttering problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

octayn

Registered
I'm having an issue I can't seem to find anyone else having with Windows 8. After I boot my PC and I'm on the desktop, my computer is super stuttery for about 5 minutes. I don't use low end hardware, I run a i7 2700k, 16GB DDR3 memory, 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, and a radeon HD 6850. My mouse doesn't scroll near as smooth (which I can't stand) and my sound is scratchy and slowed down to probably 3 or 4 times the normal length of sounds, and it's also delayed. Anyone have any clue what might be going on here?

Nothing is overclocked, and I'm not quite sure what you mean about the second part. Everything is stock with a fresh copy of Windows 8 Pro.

with task manager open see what is sucking up your CPU cycles and check your hd light, something is writing to it possibly during this time. Check windows logs, I like to erase them all, then do a fresh bootup, and check the logs. only the current issues should appear.

disk.png

The disks are being read and wrote to like crazy, the Z drive started to spike to 100 for a while after the C drive lowered. I found that this was caused by the "superfetch" service. I disabled it in my local services and the reading and writing all went to 0%. Thanks for the help.

The problem w/ disabling the Superfetch service is that the Prefetcher function is also disabled, which along w/ defrag should stay enabled in Win8. When Win8 detects it's installed on a SSD, it automatically disables Superfetch by changing/removing a registry setting. Is the controller the SSD is connected to set to AHCI or IDE mode?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean unless you're talking about if it's connected with ribbon cables instead of sata cables (which I doubt ribbon cables are even made anymore).

Is that a fresh install of windows or did you Ghost/mirror/copy your old system drive to the SSD?

Back