• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Desltop Icon Locaton Saver

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
If you are like me, you put icons on your desktop as you hate navigating the dorky Windows start menu (which got even dorkier in Windows 8 and Windows 10).

If you are like me, the position of these desktop icons are in a certain order to avoid having to search for stuff.

If you are like me, you get very annoyed every time Windows does an occasional "burp" and moves your icons...or when you upgrade a graphics driver and your icons move...or when you change monitors and your icons move. Why yes, I DID want to have these ordered from your definition of "top left" of the screen in a random order that makes sense to the Aliens living on the Babylon 5 space station.

Enter a FATASTIC App...DesktopOK

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/DesktopOK

This app has kept me from having to drink heavily before every graphics driver upgrade. (Now, I just drink heavily buy choice! :D)

I hope this helps somebody out there! :thup:

Good find!

I dont recall if this happens with driver updates (I don't think it does?), but it sure does when I RDP into my box at work from home (1680x1050 at work and 2560x1440 at home).

I run NVIDIA surround...their upgrade process:

- Disable surround...random icon shuffle
- Do more important stuff...random icon shuffle
- Enable surround...random icon shuffle

Sometimes as an added bonus, they reset the monitor number alignment...before update...1, 2, 3, 4...after update...that bets in the new random sequence

Oh dear... what a PITA! I use dual monitors, but, luckily, have not had that happen to me either (not talking about when you disable and enable).

If you use DDU, enter safe mode and change the resolution to your usual desktop, Windows stops re-arranging icons after every driver wipe/upgrade. Don't know if it helps with surround ?

That doesn't sound like less work?? :D

With this program it's VERY simple:

1. Install
2. Start Program
3. Hit "save icon location"
4. Close Program

When something random happens...it's very simple:

1. Open program
2. Restore an icon save point
3. Close Program

I don't want to have to go back to safe mode every time I install a program to position my icons...

Not every time, once. Safe mode is originally at 800x600 or some such, change resolution to the one you usually use and the icons stop moving around no matter how many times you use DDU after. Changed drivers 4x in this install and they haven't budged for me, try it.

Thank you for posting original poster, I understand *exactly* what you are saying.
Yes I am like you, so much so that I delayed switching to 64-Bit Windows only because I couldn't find a reliable program to do this under 64-Bit.

When I finally did, it was actually this one for 64-Bit Windows:
http://www.midiox.com/index.htm?http://www.midiox.com/desktoprestore.htm

Let me know how they compare.

From Windows 9x - I couldn't imagine using a computer without a Desktop Icon Restore program installed.
This one only works on 32-Bit Windows, and was the one I used on old 32-Bit machines: View attachment Restore Desktop 2.0.zip

Is it freeware or a pay-for program?
It doesn't explicitly say it can save custom locations of each & every Desktop icon, which is what we need, can it do that?

I was just after a program to remember my icon locations.

I use the same program on my wife's laptop...I have a profile for how she likes it, and one for me when I have to do stuff for her. Switch to mine, then back to hers.

Is it freeware or a pay-for program?
It doesn't explicitly say it can save custom locations of each & every Desktop icon, which is what we need, can it do that?

I use a older version than what is currently on the site you can pay for it or it post a add for its self on boot other than nothing else

Although its only in the paid version, if you run multiple displays, DisplayFusion can also save multiple icon locations which you can recall anytime.

Thanks for that. I didn't know and I do have a paid version of Display Fusion to control multiple desktop backgrounds on my plasma TV connected to my PC.

It is a hassle to get to that setting though, specifically this is why I chose this program for restoring icons, it has this single click setting in the right click menu:

RightClickRestore.png

http://www.midiox.com/desktoprestore.htm

Maybe DisplayFusion would consider a right click menu like that... will suggest that to them.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I didn't know and I do have a paid version of Display Fusion to control multiple desktop backgrounds on my plasma TV connected to my PC.

It is a hassle to get to that setting though, specifically this is why I chose this program for restoring icons, it has this single click setting in the right click menu:

View attachment 175778

http://www.midiox.com/desktoprestore.htm

Maybe DisplayFusion would consider a right click menu like that... will suggest that to them.

It's already there. Right click taskbar icon > Desktop Icons > Load or Save Profile. Sure, you have to choose which profile you want to load, so that'll be an extra step, but this also allows you to have multiple profiles, very useful if you constantly change resolutions or number of screens, or if you want different icons showing/arranged depending on what task you are performing with your PC.

Back