• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Diskless Folding!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
iceage said:
This looks like a great deal! I have a few questions though:

1) Will this work if I'm using a wireless router to network from a DSL modem? Our house isn't wired for broadband in every room and I have our family computer downstairs and my folding farm is planned for an upstairs room (ergo the wireless router idea.)

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure it will work, in theory (i thought about this before, but havent done it), its still a network. as long as it has the options of PXE boot, I think.. (blind leading the blind here). Its the same as a wired network, only no wires... no reason why it shouldnt work.

The only problem i have with this is that i cant figure out how to get it to work with Hyperthreading :( other than that it works like a charm.

lennytiger said:
Is there a way to do this whilst using internet connection sharing? I don't have a router?

I would think you could ics to a switch with all the other comps on it. I have a separate router, so i have no worries.

The problem is ICS has a built in DHCP which conflicts with TFTPD, bootip or something like that. Is there anyway around that?

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" :cool:

Glad you got this working, looks cool. I built a pair of similar things OCers might be interested in - fold-server and Foldix. Fold-server is the same thing as this project, except it's an entire Linux system; you install it on a machine with two Nics, plug your real network into one side and your FAH machines into the other, and they fold away. Foldix is for standalone machines; put the disk in and it'll *autoformat* a hard drive, and go start folding. Both are monitorable by EM3; fold-server also has a monitoring interface which looks like this. They both use the Linux client to fold (and save the cores and client!); I may look into the Windows client now that someone's done it.

My next project is porting fold-server to the Linksys WRT54G boxes. That makes for even easier b0xen deployment ;)

OP, if you want help on linux-related stuff, an installer for this (I also did setup-fold), anything, let me know what I can help with and I'll be glad to.

Will this work if I use WMP54G linksys wireless cards to link the MBs to my network router? Or do I have to use a RJ-45 cable connection from a wired router to the MB built-in network adaptor?

I thought it did work on duallies, but wouldn't detect HT.

Edit: WMP54G wireless cards are not PXE bootable (or I'm doing something wrong :rolleyes: )

Tis true. I'm guessing that 4 logical processors on a regular setup is better than 2 diskless.

Is it because the diskless is linux based that it doesn't use HT?

no linux can see HT its just that the version that is used does not support it. Right now with HT on on my my xeon boxes im seeing around 400-500 PPD

unhappy_mage said:
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" :cool:

Glad you got this working, looks cool. I built a pair of similar things OCers might be interested in - fold-server and Foldix. Fold-server is the same thing as this project, except it's an entire Linux system; you install it on a machine with two Nics, plug your real network into one side and your FAH machines into the other, and they fold away. Foldix is for standalone machines; put the disk in and it'll *autoformat* a hard drive, and go start folding. Both are monitorable by EM3; fold-server also has a monitoring interface which looks like this. They both use the Linux client to fold (and save the cores and client!); I may look into the Windows client now that someone's done it.

My next project is porting fold-server to the Linksys WRT54G boxes. That makes for even easier b0xen deployment ;)

OP, if you want help on linux-related stuff, an installer for this (I also did setup-fold), anything, let me know what I can help with and I'll be glad to.

Does your system allow setting different flags for each layer?

infinitevalence said:
no linux can see HT its just that the version that is used does not support it. Right now with HT on on my my xeon boxes im seeing around 400-500 PPD

Same here. When I get the patty melts or 56 points, it goes down a bit. I think some better memory timing would help some but I'm using value mem.

I'm putting together a P5P800 SE & Intel 805 folding rig to see what that'll do.

iceage said:
Same here. When I get the patty melts or 56 points, it goes down a bit. I think some better memory timing would help some but I'm using value mem.

I'm putting together a P5P800 SE & Intel 805 folding rig to see what that'll do.

I am eagerly awaiting results from that combo. I have been seriously considering the same.

I'm pretty sure the 805's will keep slowly coming down in price. I thought I snagged 2 P5P800 SE refurb boards for $65 at the egg, but they cancelled my order for both. :argue: :bang head It really bugs me when retailers don't promptly update their site. Not even an email saying "Sorry, we screwed up".

Back