• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows hangs!!!(a7v133)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toni33

Registered
Hi!, sometimes when I turn on my system , while windows is almost loaded (I can see the desktop), my system hangs and I don´t know why!!. I thought that it may be a problem with the ide hdd driver(provided in via 4 in 1) but it isn´t.
Do you know why it happen?
a7v133 Duron 800@800
generic 128 Mb (133)
Voodoo 3 2000
Sound blaster 128 pci
hdd 3,2 gb seagate & 850 mb (raid)
avermedia tv capture 98
can it occur by the via bug (686b southbridge)?

Does not sound like a chip set driver problem
Can you boot into safe mode? If it does, you can either do a step by step boot up to determine the program/hardware causing the lockup or go directly into safe mode. In Safe mode, first try would be to remove all of the programs out of your Start Menu, program, startup and reboot . If it runs fine then its one of the start programs drag back one by one each of the programs until you find the problem SW. Other options are to "REM" out the lines in your autoexec.bat and reboot . If it runs fine then its one of the start programs. Un REM until you find the problem
If the two things above does not work, your registry may be damage which you will need to rebuild the registry
Upon boot up, after the post:
Window95 use F8 to get to safe mode
Window98 uses CTRL key, I think, get to safe mode

toni33 (Jun 18, 2001 05:10 p.m.):
Hi!, sometimes when I turn on my system , while windows is almost loaded (I can see the desktop), my system hangs and I don´t know why!!. I thought that it may be a problem with the ide hdd driver(provided in via 4 in 1) but it isn´t.
Do you know why it happen?
a7v133 Duron 800@800
generic 128 Mb (133)
Voodoo 3 2000
Sound blaster 128 pci
hdd 3,2 gb seagate & 850 mb (raid)
avermedia tv capture 98
can it occur by the via bug (686b southbridge)?

It's the board. Throw it in the trash (or resell it on Ebay) and buy a motherboard based on the non-buggy AMD761 chipset.

Believe me, I HAD an A7V133 that acted just like yours did. I suffered from random failures to load windows properly, etc. Also I suffered from random hard locks when playing 3D games. It's just the chipset and VIA's qualirty control: they suck.

Back