• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows lagging on new system..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

natholas

Registered
Hey everybody. I have recently built a new computer, installed windows 7, installed latest drivers, did all of the windows updates, installed avg, adobe apps and other software that I use..

What is happening is that the system will just hang for a second or two every few minutes.. this is extremely annoying especially when gaming..

Also for some reason adobe premier crashes every few minutes (I have my source files on an external hdd (mts files))

my system:
mobo: asus L8Z77-v LX
cpu: intel i5 3570k
gpu: asus (aftermarket) gtx 560 (overclocked using the asus ai suite ii)
hdd: 500gb hdd
psu: 500w corsair 80+

I have already done a check on my hard drive and there are no bad sectors.
the cpu is running below 50C at all times and the gpu is below 60C when playing bf3 on ultra

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it :)

Thanks for the reply :) i will try running memtest86.. i have 6gb's of corsair vengeance ram (3x2)

6GB? Thats an odd number...Do you have a 2x2GB kit and 2x1GB or something? Are they matching kits?

it came as a kit of 6gb... its 3 sticks of 2gb each and cpu-z is saying its running in duel channel..

memtest found no errors

Take a stick out and run 4GB... Its a dual channel board and you have an odd amount of ram.

ok ill try.. would that really matter though? i guess we will find out :p

Doubtful...but... what the hell.

Try disabling AVG.. that AV is opressive sometimes. Use MSE.

Did you try having task manager open and see which process spikes when your hitching occurs?

cpu-z-memory.jpg

Here is a screenshot of my cpu-z memory tab.. the ram i have is 1600mhz.. is this right?
(the 8-8-8-24 is right)

well when premier crashes I have had a look at the task manager and i have cpu and ram to spare.. like cpu is at 5% and i have 2.5 gigs of ram free..

I have not checked it when the computer randomly lags for a second or two though.. i will keep it open so that the next time it happens i will see and let you know

In that screenshot, you only have 4GB (unless that is when you pulled the stick :p). That memory is slightly overclocked at 824Mhz vs 800. It should still be fine there, but.. thats an odd number. Did you raise the bclk? Lower that back so its 800Mhz.

i set the bclk down to 1 so that the target frequency is 1600mhz.. lets see what that does..

EDIT: this also changed the cpu frequency target down? lol did i somehow overclock my cpu?

EDIT2: so my cpu is going up to 3.6ghz now.. before it would go up to 4.2ghz.. i dont get it... lol..

Last edited:
Patience, and please dont triple post. :)

Yeah, your frequency is a function of bclk * multiplier. I think Turbo on that CPU goes to 3.9Ghz with one core. Multiplier should be at auto and bclk at auto or 100Mhz. No clue why it would go to 4.2Ghz unless Im wrong on the turbo multi (which is quite possible).

Just leave bclk at 100Mhz and give it a whirl.

hehe sorry :p
i am seeing allot less lag.. with the bclk set to 100 and 2 sticks of ram.. ill keep it like this for a while and then try again with 6gb of ram..

any other suggestions?

EDIT: premier is still crashing all the time :/

Reinstall the application..

If you want/need more ram, get a 2x4Gb kit. You may be throwing the board off a bit with 3 sticks (it shouldnt, but still).

ye i will try.. anyway i think the main lag is gone.. thanks for your help :D

Back