• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Media Center 8.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fcomstoc

I decided today to upgrade my HTPC to 8.1 (from 7) - I get Windows for free from Dreamspark, I discovered that in order to get Windows Media Center (the software you need for the TV tuner card) you must spend an extra $10, does anyone else think this is bulls**t. I am glad that I don't have to pay for Windows or I would be really upset. I am debating putting Linux on this machine and being done with Windows forever. I am so glad that I bought a Mac as my work machine.

So for the question: does anyone know of any TV tuner software that can record, has a guide, and works well, I am willing to go Windows or Linux - but I am not willing to pay for software that should be an included feature.

Windows 8 is cheap enough as it is... that's probably why they don't include it. I can't say that I agree with them excluding it, but I certainly can't blame them for it to keep costs down.

I have been fighting Linux for days on my htpc. Biggest problem is getting online videos from Comcast to play. Getting flash and silverlight equivalents to work is impossible. I am seriously considering windows, but I am too cheap to go that way without much frustration and banging of my head on the wall. Paying more just for media center doesn't help.

Windows 8 is cheap enough as it is... that's probably why they don't include it. I can't say that I agree with them excluding it, but I certainly can't blame them for it to keep costs down.

I don't know that I would say that Windows 8.1 is cheap, it is over $114 for 8.1 and $199 for 8.1 pro. Those are the standard Windows prices that they have had for years, that opposed to the Upgrade cost of my Mac which is Free. Microsoft is just money hungry - we saw this with Vista and we see this now.

I have been fighting Linux for days on my htpc. Biggest problem is getting online videos from Comcast to play. Getting flash and silverlight equivalents to work is impossible. I am seriously considering windows, but I am too cheap to go that way without much frustration and banging of my head on the wall. Paying more just for media center doesn't help.

This is always a good point, no Silverlight means no Netflix (a service I have had for years). I am considering using my HTPC as a headless storage/recording device and using my 360 to play content, I am not really sure what I will do about network playing as the 360 will not play off Linux shares - I suppose I could use my RasPi for that.

I did finally get flash to work with pepper/12.00 flash on Ubuntu and again on the latest mint, but I haven't gotten "moonlight" - the Linux version of silver light installed and working right.

(Using chromium.)

I did finally get flash to work with pepper/12.00 flash on Ubuntu and again on the latest mint, but I haven't gotten "moonlight" - the Linux version of silver light installed and working right.

I am glad that you got flash working I know that can be a pain in the a**, I get the feeling that moonlight will never work for netflix, getting it to work has been a long battle that will never end. I expect that due to the fact that windows has ended support on silverlight, netflix will change to an alternative at some point (HTML5?) which will allow linux users to finally use their service. Thankfully I have an xbox 360 on the TV, or I can hook up my MBP so that is not a huge issue.

In the next day or two would be nice. I still haven't seen the latest walking dead. ;)
I am interested to hear what you do. I am not in a hurry to buy windows.

In the next day or two would be nice. I still haven't seen the latest walking dead. ;)
I am interested to hear what you do. I am not in a hurry to buy windows.

Sorry about the Netflix, I know that sucks, you could always get a Chromecast or ROKU box, those are pretty cheap.

I have been considering running PLEX on some Linux distro (Probably Xubuntu), The server would be my Dell 780, the clients would be the RasPI, Xbox 360, MacBook Pro, and my iPhone. I am willing to give up the TV Tuner - I dont really watch that much anyway. I would do Netflix on the 360 or the MBP. I am not really sure what I will end up doing though. I am still open to suggestions.

My main reason for a htpc was to reduce the clutter down to one box for everything. I haven't tried much in the way of htpc software outside of windows 7, which I have for my main TV. The one I am working on now is for a TV downstairs in the basement, that is less used. I have been using raspbmc, but since I upgraded my main box to windows 8, the raspi cannot ever find my movies/ videos.

My main reason for a htpc was to reduce the clutter down to one box for everything. I haven't tried much in the way of htpc software outside of windows 7, which I have for my main TV. The one I am working on now is for a TV downstairs in the basement, that is less used. I have been using raspbmc, but since I upgraded my main box to windows 8, the raspi cannot ever find my movies/ videos.

I get that, more devices make the setup more complicated, Windows 7 is probably the easiest to set up and use, I probably should have stuck with 7, but I am sick of that and I would really rather use something else.

(Using chromium.)

I would recommend Pipelight, it's had some good success judging by what the guys on XBMC forums have been saying.

I would recommend Pipelight, it's had some good success judging by what the guys on XBMC forums have been saying.

This actually worked, along with "user-agent switcher for chrome" for netflix, but only a few things will play on xfinity online from comcast. I can watch commercials and a few shows, but most stuff won't load -shows buffering endlessly.
I am getting closer and even though it isn't an answer to the OP's question, perhaps it will help you make a decision.

This actually worked, along with "user-agent switcher for chrome" for netflix, but only a few things will play on xfinity online from comcast. I can watch commercials and a few shows, but most stuff won't load -shows buffering endlessly.
I am getting closer and even though it isn't an answer to the OP's question, perhaps it will help you make a decision.

That is awesome guys, I am glad that you found something that works for netflix as well as other stuff, I will try that out.

Back