• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Media Player-less WindowsXP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Do you Want WMP-Less Windows XP

• Total voters
kct2 said:
I'm trying to say that you already have a choice. Why do you see the existence of WMP or IE on your hard drive as oppressive?

I know that the choice allready exists and it is not this that I find oppressive, it is the fact that Microsoft have appeared to have gone out of their way to make removing system features I do not desire as hard as possible that I find oppressive...

deRusett said:
Not sure if this is directed at me as well. so I feel I need to respond to it any way.

I am not against choice the poll question is

and my answer is NO, do I want to be able to remove WMP if I so wish? Yes, do I think WMP should be installed default with Windows YES, should removing it be easy YES,

WMP, WMM, IE, Windows Messenger, should all be as easy to remove as going to Add remove Programs Uninstall.

OR during installation you can do a Custom install allowing you to remove things and disable services before you are even finnished the install

Obviously at this point I should hold my hands up and admit that perhaps I should have phrased my poll question better :bang head But its a bit late for that !!
Like yourself Im very pro choice and considered that this would be clearly reflected in the poll, which is what shocked me... Perhaps the results are a reflection of the question I asked rather than if people desire the choice to remove it cleanly without having to hack the OS.

Very well presented statements, what can I say :p

UnseenMenace said:
I know that the choice allready exists and it is not this that I find oppressive, it is the fact that Microsoft have appeared to have gone out of their way to make removing system features I do not desire as hard as possible that I find oppressive...

you are an easily oppressed man UnseenMenace.
Though I too feel Microsoft uses its power to push its Software on users rather then having them make a choice first off.
I feel no psychological or mental burden about having to have the MS software installed, I do wish I could remove the items I do not use, to conserve HD space and possibly integrate the software I like better.

BUT I do have a choice, I can use Linux, People whom feel oppressed by Microsoft are oppressed because they do not want to make a voice for them selves, for the amount of people who complain about MS oppression and Lack of choice you would think linux would have a large Marketshare, and that game developers would be making Linux games. They do not, because there is no demand, people allow them selves to be oppressed, every game I buy for Windows, I send and e-mail to the company asking for linux suport,
When a time comes that WIndows XP no longer supports games, if the game I want is not suported in Linux, then they will recive and e-mail to the effect that I did not purchase there game do to lack of suport, for I do not plan to spend 200 dollars on longhorn when it comes out unless it is a fanominal OS, which I dought.

Your Oppression is self inflicted you have a choice, and there is no change with out sacrifice. if you are a gamer, e-mail game companies saying you will no longer be buying there software until it is supported by linux. Every game you want, do not buy until it is suported by linux, and be sure to send e-mails, if people truly want a choice they must sacrifice.

its good to be on a forum I can argue with a mod and have no worries of being banned :D or edited

UnseenMenace said:
Obviously at this point I should hold my hands up and admit that perhaps I should have phrased my poll question better :bang head But its a bit late for that !!
Like yourself Im very pro choice and considered that this would be clearly reflected in the poll, which is what shocked me... Perhaps the results are a reflection of the question I asked rather than if people desire the choice to remove it cleanly without having to hack the OS.

Very well presented statements, what can I say :p

Your Poll question should have read
"Would you Like the Option of having a WMP-less Windows"

Yes
No
Don't use Windows
Don't Care

PS I use SuSE Linux on my own box, its my choice, its scarey as women, but then again I suppose we have a choice there as well ... LOL

To it's credit, it's much better at playing .wmv files I've noticed. I could live without it if Winamp got better at .wmv..

cornbread said:
Personally, I think Windows would sale better and even appeal more to the Linux people if it was just a bare OS, without things like IE, WMP and other crap. I think people should have a choice if they want it or not.

Linux isnt a bare O/S last time i installed it (redhat and fedora core 2 and 3) they all came with various programs like media players / notepad/ other office type of applcations...

Now the benefit of Linux - is you can CHOOSE to install these or not during the setup :)

I think all Windows should have to offer is a clear option to UNINSTALL the player and any other application people do not want DURING the installation process.

On that note - look @ dell OEM windows install - do i really want a Free AOL set up installed on my system? No, but i have no choice along with a ton of other Dell crap.

do I want to be able to remove WMP if I so wish? Yes, do I think WMP should be installed default with Windows YES, should removing it be easy YES,

WMP, WMM, IE, Windows Messenger, should all be as easy to remove as going to Add remove Programs Uninstall.

OR during installation you can do a Custom install allowing you to remove things and disable services before you are even finnished the install

Exactly - now, for me, they are easy to uninstall by editing a ini file in windows\ but for your average user this would be intimiating - a clear easy uninstall would be nice

(ps - for Xp @ least just go to C:\WINDOWS\inf\sysoc.ini - open that baby up and delete the ,HIDE - save and close that file now go into add/remove programs / add-remove windows components :D

Last edited:
Okay, - decided to format my inspiron 9100 - guess what - it is XP home with SP2 (dell OEM) - i went into add/remove programs / add / remove windows components and GUESS WHAT!

i could choose to remove Media Player and MSN!!!

could MS already be doing this here in north america?

^^^ in any past install of XP i installed you could never remove Media player or MSN with out modifying that syoc.ini file.

MR.Guvernment said:
Okay, - decided to format my inspiron 9100 - guess what - it is XP home with SP2 (dell OEM) - i went into add/remove programs / add / remove windows components and GUESS WHAT!

i could choose to remove Media Player and MSN!!!

could MS already be doing this here in north america?

Mr.Guvernment said:
^^^ in any past install of XP i installed you could never remove Media player or MSN with out modifying that syoc.ini file.

I could be wrong, but I think that option was enabled in sp1, pretty sure that was the case.

I just wish a user had the choice to install it or not when doing a fresh install, not installed by default, and no hidden crap.

read the first page 'n I think your all taking this personally. so far I've seen "I'd like the choice"

well what about the joe blow? he'll bring home his pc, set it up, pop in his cd 'n not be able to listen to his CD. I doubt he'll be like "oh, let me just go to realplayer.com 'n download one"
no, he's just gunna be made. so I don't like the idea of a windows with WMP, it makes life harder for the joe six pack 'n for me, the person supporting joe

Back