• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows repair option missing when pressing F8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi there,

Not sure what has happened but my Windows repair option in advanced options when booting and pressing F8 has vanished. Tried to startup repair keeps acting like new hardware has been installed which it hasn't Win 7 installed via USB hence why USB is plugged in. Recovery folder is still there and when I run that agent cmd it shows the recovery is enabled for boot but doesn't show up when I press F8.

If someone can help me put this back that would be great. I ran chkdsk via USB key so it did a super long check did that took a few hrs no issues. Running SFC inside windows keeps saying there are files it can't repair.

Cheers,

Bandit.

SFC issues resolved SFC now completes and closes by itself I figure that means its sorted. Trying F8 boot advanced options no repair is there however. Is there someway I can add this back with visual BCD?

cheers

SFC issues resolved SFC now completes and closes by itself I figure that means its sorted. Trying F8 boot advanced options no repair is there however. Is there someway I can add this back with visual BCD?

cheers

when I use sfc the dialogue stays open when finished and states what sfc has found. when everything is okay it finds "no integrity violations" or something like that.

I thought that must be the case. Previously when I was scanning it would say it could not repair certain files check cbs log now it completes w/o and issue and just auto closes so I figure that means it has no problems. From here how do I go about readding the auto repair mode if anyone can step me through a (hopefully easy way) don't mind if I need to get some soft of software to do it im ok with that aswell.

You could also try creating a Windows 7 PE Rescue disc and see if it gives you more restore options. Have you tried restoring the system to an earlier date when it was running properly?

Hi Trents,

Yeah no luck went back as far as I could option still was not there. I thought perhaps the actual recovery folder was deleted but turned system files on and its still there everything intact just not sure how to get it to come up in advanced boot options is my problem now.

Can already boot from USB to get to repair option just trying to add it back to the system so it has a repair function without the need to put in a dvd/usb just not sure how to get it back.

Those restore partitions from the factory are difficult or impossible to recreate. They contain the OS image and some batch files that are triggered by a hotkey. A programmer could probably figure it out but for all intents and purposes using the USB stick is way easier than trying to recreate the factory restore partition.

Those restore partitions from the factory are difficult or impossible to recreate. They contain the OS image and some batch files that are triggered by a hotkey. A programmer could probably figure it out but for all intents and purposes using the USB stick is way easier than trying to recreate the factory restore partition.

^+1. The only way I know of "putting it back" is a reinstall of the OS.

Back