• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED WinRAR extracting entire temp directory with drag and drop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LiquidArrogance

Howdy folks. I'm banging my head on the wall on this one . . . Just randomly started happening a few months back and I can't figure it out.

If I open an archive in winrar, then try to drag one or more files from that archive, winrar will attempt to copy the entire folder contents of where the rar file is stored to this location.

So if I download a rar file and use the open after downloading option, then try to drag one file from that archive to the desktop, WinRAR will start coping the entire contents of my temp directory onto my desktop! Extremely frustrating.

Have tried uninstall / reinstall to no avail.

I've been using winrar for as long as I can remember and have never had this issue. I've tried googling but everyone thread I've found quickly devloves into a debate over suggesting alternatives to winrar -- no solutions are ever explored or offer :-/ I happen to like winrar because I've been using it for so long . . . if anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it! Thanks as always peeps! :thup:

Uninstall/reinstall? Never seen or heard of that issue before. Been using Winrar a long time.

Howdy folks. I'm banging my head on the wall on this one . . . Just randomly started happening a few months back and I can't figure it out.

If I open an archive in winrar, then try to drag one or more files from that archive, winrar will attempt to copy the entire folder contents of where the rar file is stored to this location.

So if I download a rar file and use the open after downloading option, then try to drag one file from that archive to the desktop, WinRAR will start coping the entire contents of my temp directory onto my desktop! Extremely frustrating.

Have tried uninstall / reinstall to no avail.

I've been using winrar for as long as I can remember and have never had this issue. I've tried googling but everyone thread I've found quickly devloves into a debate over suggesting alternatives to winrar -- no solutions are ever explored or offer :-/ I happen to like winrar because I've been using it for so long . . . if anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it! Thanks as always peeps! :thup:

I have exactly the same problem, but I couldn't find any solution for this error.
I also have uninstalled/reinstalled but doesn't work.

Thak you very much, I have been able to solve this problem I have been suffering during months.
You put me in the right way.

I think this a problem with windows 8 temp folder permissions.

My temp folder have all permissions to Administrator, but only read/write for Everyone - this is not enough, winrar requires Modify permissions (that will grant the execute also).

When the permissions fails, the winrar alternative is to extract for the same folder of the opened file, than it make the mistake of coping all the forder to the destination of the drag&drop

So, I solved it giving modify permissions to windows default temp folder and now all works ok.

Thak you very much, I have been able to solve this problem I have been suffering during months.

My temp folder have all permissions to Administrator, but only read/write for Everyone - this is not enough, winrar requires Modify permissions (that will grant the execute also).

When the permissions fails, the winrar alternative is to extract for the same folder of the opened file, than it make the mistake of coping all the forder to the destination of the drag&drop

So, I solved it giving modify permissions to windows default temp folder and now all works ok.

This saved my life! Thanks!

How did you solve the issue ??
i mean how did you give the permissions to the temp folder

I signed up only to thank you! This fixed the problem right away, Windows 8 permissions are a PITA.
I checked the temp folder setting in WinRAR options and it was set to C:\Username\AppData\Local\Temp. Then opened that folder on file browser (you need to tick "Show hidden files" in the browser's "View" tab, or copy and paste the path to the browser's address bar) and then right click on an empty space.There go to "Properties", "Security" tab, "Edit", tick the first "Allow" checkbox, and accept everything. That's it!

Back