• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wire trick problem with Pentium III Coppermine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Black_Paladin

I have a Pentium III 800EB Cpu and been running this on a CUSL2 mobo for quite a while at 1.95V. (Actual V is something like 1.90 though). I can boot at up to 1050Mhz at that vcore but then windows will crash right away. Yesterday I finally found the courage to do the wire trick on the CPU to get the Vcore higher so I ripped a cable from an old PSU that I had lying around and used that to connect VID3 to VSS. So, what did that do?
Nothing! I posted, went into BIOS and my default voltage was still at 1.65V. I actually did the "drop the wire into the pinholes" trick first but when that didn't work, I wrapped the wire around the pins. Still nothing. Now, what I'm curious about is this: The wire that I took from a cable on that PSU was not copper colored so I'm pretty sure it's not copper. However, since this wire was taken from a PSU cable, it is designed to conduct electricty so I thought it would work but maybe the resistance is too much?? Could that be? I'm gonna either stop by Radio Shack to get some real copper wire or try to find it from some other place. The wire that I used was silver colored so could it be aliminum? Is that why it didn't work? I thought that connecting VID3 to VSS would give me 2.05 (I am writing this from memory right now so I might have put down the wrong VID number and voltage) but regardless, with the wire connecting VID3 and VSS I thought, SOMETHING would change but absolutely nothing changed. Any suggestions on the wire? And how thick should my wire be? The one I used from the PSU very very thin and I had a heck of a time wrapping this around the pins but believe it or not, dropping this wire into pinholes was even harder!!

With an original default of 1.65v, you are right about wrapping VSS and VID3 to give you 2.05v modified. Seems like most people that do not use a copper wire strand have trouble. I've done this wire trick to 4 CPUs now (2 Coppermines and 2 Northwoods) and I've had good luck using a copper strand from standard car speaker wire. Also, double check to make sure you are working with the correct pins.

Back