• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wirte Speed SSD vs Hard Drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I thought this was a manual operation...I guess I got the wrong idea..so it runs it by itself? when you say not even in Windows as in power saving hibernation mode? Breaking the array for GC and restoring the image every time seems such a tedious task.

Aarrrrgh...I guess I have to pass this time and wait until the technology is fully matured.

I do not believe that in order to run GC you would have to break the array. That would be silly.

It is not a manual process. It is done when idle.

As I understand it OCZ developed the GC for their Colossus drives, where they have two or four SSD controllers behind an RAID controller, all in on box. Since TRIM doesn't work with RAID this GC was developed to solve that. I do not know if it work for any RAID or if their specific setup has some customization to make it work, but it is possible.

Yes here is new FW for OCZ drives 1.4 & 1.41 for Vertex's 1.41 is more aggresave GC and 1.4 is with TRIM..

GC works in raid , on 1.3 FW it works while idle or when S1 sleep ... with FW 1.41 it works in real time & sleep ...

It gets slower as time goes on and the drive fills... no TRIM, no GC with my FW (though apparently some version of the FW for this drive has GC already, v18 or 1.18 or something?).

Yes here is new FW for OCZ drives 1.4 & 1.41 for Vertex's 1.41 is more aggresave GC and 1.4 is with TRIM..

GC works in raid , on 1.3 FW it works while idle or when S1 sleep ... with FW 1.41 it works in real time & sleep ...

This isn't too clear to me...Is this something you enable and forget it?
You enable this and GC kicks in when the system is at idle? Has anyone actually used this?

Areca said:
Dear Sir/Madam,

currently our controllers do not support SSD TRIM, and also no confirmed plan on added this feature yet.
sorry for the inconvenience.

I'm sure they'll change those plans soon enough, but for now..

3x Intel drives will be roughly the same speed as your Raptors at write speeds ~240MB/sec on large files. Read speeds will blow away the Raptors at roughly 700-750MB+/sec.

If you get an OCZ Vertex, you'll be looking at possibilities of much higher write speeds in the 500MB+/Sec range for large sequential files.

Is it worth it? For just doing video encoding/decrption I really doubt its worth it. For an OS/Programs drive surely it would be more ideal for. As well writing large amounts of data to the drive will shorten its life, depending on how large the files you write and how often you do so could shorten its life to years (we are talking about a massive amount of data).

Back