• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Woot! Microsoft Zune! Preordered One :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fr3@k3r

Well the other day I hit-up Gamestop to browse while my pizzah was getting done... saw a window thingy for the new MS Zune portabale media player... im like zah im gonna get onez now... lol

they come in white, black, brown.... hmmm <-----
:sn:

Image:Zune-colors.jpg
image001_low.jpg

anyways picked up a black one for $249, official release date is the 14th so ill get mine the 15th...

I would've went with the Ipod 80GB new gen for $349 but that I was given the specs of the zune... its a tiny bit larger than the ipod.. but has tons of more features.

Its also rumored to be able to view STREAMING media over 802G!!!!

here's the specs...

250px-IPod_Zune_Comparison.jpg
Size comparison between the 5th-generation iPod and the Microsoft Zune. (The graphic does not reflect extremely curved design of iPod.) The Zune's screen is 44% larger than the iPod's, but displays the same number of pixels.
  • 4.4 × 2.4 × 0.58-inch (11.2 × 6.1 × 1.4 cm)
  • 5.6 ounces (283.5 grams)
  • 802.11b/g built-in Wi-Fi
  • 30 GB hard drive
  • 3-inch QVGA LCD screen, with a resolution of 320×240; display comparison with iPod
  • Supports a resolution of 640×480 for video-out playback
  • Radio Data System enabled FM receiver
  • Supports all unprotected H.264, MP3, WMA, WMV, MPEG4, JPEG and AAC
  • Up to 14 hours battery life when playing music, 4 hours playing video or viewing pictures, with Wi-Fi off
  • With Wi-Fi turned on, up to 13 hours battery life when playing music (optimal conditions)
Features
  • Will be able to send photos, and music (no videos) from Zune-to-Zune via WiFi. The music files will only be listenable for three days or three plays, whichever comes first.
  • Ability to flag tracks received from Zune-to-Zune transfer, for download from the Zune Marketplace.
  • Able to play movies, videos and view pictures
  • Automatically detects and adjusts display to either portrait or landscape based upon its vertical orientation.
  • Updatable firmware
  • Ability to create a "ZuneTag," which is a username/profile that is visible to others who wirelessly scan the area for fellow Zune users.
  • The wallpaper on the Zune can be changed to any user specified image.
  • The Zune will play standard Netcast files, as they are usually available in unprotected MP3 or AAC format. However, netcast integration (via RSS) into the Zune Marketplace doesn't appear to be part of the initial release.
  • The player software will automatically convert audio and video that is in a format not supported by the Zune into a format that does. (I.E. a video with a resolution of 720x540 will be converted to a resolution of 320x240 if necessary).
  • Able to show other Zunes nearby what you are listening to or doing through advanced settings.
comes with some Preloaded content

The first generation of the Zune will have a lot of preloaded content included. As of now, the following will be preloaded.

Audio Tracks
  • Band of Horses, “Wicked Gil” (Sub Pop Records)
  • Bitter:Sweet, “The Mating Game” (Quango Music Group)
  • CSS, “Alala (Microsoft edit)” (Sub Pop Records)
  • Darkel, “At The End of The Sky (edit)” (Astralwerks)
  • Every Move a Picture, “Signs of Life” (V2)
  • Small Sins, “Stay” (Astralwerks)
  • The Adored, “Tell Me Tell Me” (V2)
  • The Rakes, “Open Book” (V2)
  • The Thermals, “A Pillar of Salt” (Sub Pop Records)
Music Videos
  • 30 Seconds to Mars, “The Kill” (Virgin Records)
  • BT, “1.618” (DTS Entertainment)
  • Chad VanGaalen, “Red Hot Drops” (Sub Pop Records)
  • Coldcut featuring Roots Manuva, “True Skool” (Ninja Tune)
  • CSS, “Let’s Make Love and Listen to Death From Above” (Sub Pop Records)
  • Fruit Bats, “Live: The Wind That Blew My Heart Away” (Sub Pop Records)
  • Grandaddy, “Elevate Myself” (V2)
  • Hot Chip, “Over and Over” (Astralwerks Records)
  • Kraak & Smaak featuring Dez., “Keep Me Home” (Quango Music Group)
  • Kinski, “Live: The Snowy Parts of Scandinavia” (Sub Pop Records)
  • Paul Oakenfold, “Faster Kill *****cat (Featuring Brittany Murphy)”
  • Serena-Maneesh, “Drain Cosmetics” (Playlouderecordings)
Short Films
  • 5 Boro: “A New York Skateboarding Minute” (Skateboarding)
  • Radical Films: “Kranked — Progression” (Mountain Biking)
  • TGRTV The North Face (Skiing/Snowboarding)
Images

Variety of images to personalize a Zune device, including 12 classic rock posters from “Art of Modern Rock”

so once i get it ill throw up a full review for ocf members and hopefully it performsn the ways its supposed to and rumored to.!!!

Let us know how it goes I have always wanted a brown media player :rolleyes: :attn:

Most peoples opinions on the zune in the media tend to appear very biased one way or another so I look forward to a relatively unbiased opinion and review.

BossBorot said:
Let us know how it goes I have always wanted a brown media player :rolleyes: :attn:

Most peoples opinions on the zune in the media tend to appear very biased one way or another so I look forward to a relatively unbiased opinion and review.

lol black or white... but i might get mine professionally painted Lime Green :p

as for biased reviews, i do have some bias on microsoft since I work for them off and on.. but as for their products, if they suck i wont throw them at you harder, and if they are 100% awesome ill make sure everyone knows it.

I've been waiting for this since they first announced! If anyone can make a great competitor to the iPod, it's MS. Apple needs some tough competition to get some real progress in their iPods.

When you post the review, any chance you could throw comparison statistics against iPod too, so we can get a better idea of how well it stacks up?

Fr3@k3r said:
Its also rumored to be able to view STREAMING media over 802G!!!!

This is not totally correct as it has not been stated that it can play streaming video even though this specific question has been asked, the only streaming that may be possible and has actually been seen in action so far is a buffered internet radio streaming feature. If you're within range of a WiFi signal and you're listening to a station, the device will snatch as much of the feed as it can so when you wander out of WiFi signal, it'll keep playing the stream as if you were in range. This might not make its way into the final product, so don't get your hopes up too high.

However its real purpose could be to act as a WiFi Proximity sensor that works similarly to how movie theatres are Bluetoothing ads to unwitting cellphone users. When you venture in range of an "Ad-Node", the node sends you a new message to your device, which may be in the form of a 15 second ad. A new message indicator will pop up and notify you, which will then give you say, a 10% off coupon if you watch the ad.

Spam for portable players... Great way to use your battery life :D

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/ipod/even-more-info-on-the-microsoft-mp3-player-185606.php

There's also the spirit of sharing, which Zune encourages by letting Zunies swap music over a built-in wireless network. But all things must pass -- in this case, within 72 hours. You'll have three days in which to listen to each song three times, at which point it is summoned back to the great server in the sky. Doesn't matter if you're passing your parents a recording you made of your kid being cute -- Zune will banish it.

You will be able to play unprotected MP3, AAC and WMA without restrictions.

You will be able to play protected files that you purchase and download from the Zune Marketplace. (no mention of other services)

The iPod works because it is a simple MP3 player that works. It is not because the iPod has this feature or that feature... They get the core basics right, they don't fill it up with ten tons of bloat.

Personally speaking I don't think we wil know whats in the box till its shipped, the same as with Vista... however i am concerned that I will be required to purchase my downloaded media from a certain online vendor and if I am required to use a specific OS or version of media player to connect it to my PC... the question for me is do I have control over this player or does microsoft ??

Last edited:
What The Zune Wireless Can and Can Not Do

You can:
* Can search for and find other Zunes nearby.
* Can send songs / albums for the 3 x 3 trial. Songs past the three days / listens are deleted at next sync, but catalogued on your PC for record-keeping should you want to purchase them later. No word on whether Microsoft is going to keep track of which files are traded.
* You can send and receive image files for "unlimited viewing." (Oh, so copyrighted images aren't worth DRMing?)

You can't:
* Connect to the internet.
* Download songs directly from the Zune store via WiFi.
* Sync to your computer via WiFi.

seems to me the point of wireless has been missed with the Zune unlike with MusicGremlin which can purchase and download music to the device through wi-fi with no PC required

UnseenMenace said:
This is not totally correct as it has not been stated that it can play streaming video even though this specific question has been asked, the only streaming that may be possible and has actually been seen in action so far is a buffered internet radio streaming feature.

LOL thats why it was rumored, even the guy selling me it at gamestop was talkin about the possibility..

However its real purpose could be to act as a WiFi Proximity sensor that works similarly to how movie theatres are Bluetoothing ads to unwitting cellphone users. When you venture in range of an "Ad-Node", the node sends you a new message to your device, which may be in the form of a 15 second ad.

WOOT SPAM ADS! I LOVE THeM!

Spam for portable players... Great way to use your battery life :D

pshaw, batterly life is bleh on pmp's anyways.. :sn:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/ipod/even-more-info-on-the-microsoft-mp3-player-185606.php

There's also the spirit of sharing, which Zune encourages by letting Zunies swap music over a built-in wireless network. But all things must pass -- in this case, within 72 hours. You'll have three days in which to listen to each song three times, at which point it is summoned back to the great server in the sky. Doesn't matter if you're passing your parents a recording you made of your kid being cute -- Zune will banish it.

yup, and its also rumored that MS may kick back credits if that person buys your song online :) thru its market place.

You will be able to play unprotected MP3, AAC and WMA without restrictions.

Yes also MPEG4 videos, x264 Videos, on that nice 320x240 screen @ 25fps :p

You will be able to play protected files that you purchase and download from the Zune Marketplace. (no mention of other services)

I was hearing around that URGE which is inside windows media player, along with Rapsody and Napster might be coming available... but for $15 a month unlimited downloads thru Zune Marketplace its no bother for me... especially since you can load whatever unprotected media you happen to have already ripped to your pc from your collections of cd's or whatever..

The iPod works because it is a simple MP3 player that works. It is not because the iPod has this feature or that feature... They get the core basics right, they don't fill it up with ten tons of bloat.

the zune doesnt have much bloat either.. in fact most of the stuff bundled with the zune including accessing your 360 via wifi seems pretty smart by ms

Personally speaking I don't think we wil know whats in the box till its shipped, the same as with Vista... however i am concerned that I will be required to purchase my downloaded media from a certain online vendor and if I am required to use a specific OS or version of media player to connect it to my PC... the question for me is do I have control over this player or does microsoft ??

MS will control your every waking moment of your life :p muahahahahahahahahahah
:sn:

but all in all like you said, we wont know till its here :)

Id like to see how this thing does... as im currently in the market for another MP3 player

I still think the gremlin is the most interesting player currently. Just the fact that you can download songs through Wi-Fi without a host PC makes it more usefull than the Zune's capability of swapping tunes for three days with someone close enough to pass you a CD.. Quite why MS did not make it really Wi-Fi able is beyond me

MusicGremlin Information

While the swapping files that don't expire(as long as you keep your subscription) is a better idea than the 3 day garbage the fact that you need a monthly subscription and only songs downloaded using that subscription can be shared are both major drawbacks to me. It's definately a lot better than not having the option to share or the Zune deal, however I see no incentive to do this... any song you can transfer this way you could just as easily get off the subscription service. Personally I hate the whole subscription to listen to music thing, who wants to pay monthly to be able to keep listening to their music? Definately not me.

Just my 2 cents.

Back