• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

work around for opteron stepping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tbaerg

Registered
Yo guys, I built a second dually opteron rig like the one in my sig, but here's the problem;
After a lot of frustration and reading up, I found that you have to have identical stepping opterons to run in SMP. This second rig is on dual 244, but I don't have identical stepping, and thus (supposedly) they run at different voltages and won't let you boot up in SMP. They work just fine if you only have one processor inserted, but throw in the second and you're screwed. I was wondering if anyone knew of a BIOS hack, update, or work around that will let me run both 244. Also, I have been having a weird problem with my memory. I have 1 GB of Buffalo registered pc3200 ram. I had it running fine in banks 1 and 2 a week ago when I was running just one 244, but ever since I tried to run the second processor, I can only use banks 1 and 3. Even with only one stick in I can't use banks 2 or 4. Any ideas??

Thanks for the help gang.
Tom

Back