• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would like to get i7 but which one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Probably at the end of October (after my 2 weeks vacation) I will be getting a new rig together to replace my current (sig below) and I've decided to get Intel (currently AMD, Intel P4 my last CPU, AMD K6 before, and Intel P1 before and strangely keeping with Intel/AMD flip flop :screwy:)

Anyway as the i7 tends to overclock very well, would I end up close to the same result if I got the cheapest i7 vs the most expensive one? I want to try and go way past the 3.2 and maybe finally get that elusive 4GHz for me on water cooling.

While my new rig would be mostly for gaming, I do occasionally do video encoding and making DVD of my home video and some encoder do take advantage of multi core CPU for faster speed.

If you cant get an i7 920 D0 to 4Ghz on water, you are doing something wrong. :)

Unless you plan on LN2, dont get the i7 965 you wont get any further with it under water really.

I7 920 is the best CPU you can get now.

For a lil cheaper you can go I5 750 + P55 that can yeald similar result in gaming but the X58 lead when encoding and others "mem bandwith" apps.

You can hit 4.0 under water with both.

I have to agree with the others, if you're going intel the 920 is the way to go right now.
When the i5 and lower grade i7 prices come down that may change, but right now there isn't enough of a price gap.
Personally i would go PhII 955 as it's close to the same for games and costs a lot less, but that's just me. :p

There's another reason to go with socket 1366 instead of the cheaper 1156 with newest i7 and i5:

1366 has an upcoming i9 with hexacore and currently 1156 has no plan to go past quad core.
1156 also has the CPU handling PCIe directly but at 16x limit. It'd be great for single video card (quicker handling between GPU and CPU without "middleman") but SLi and Xfire would lose on performance vs 1366 that leaves PCIe function to Northbridge.

you could get 4ghz on air easily, if you get a megahalem cooler and ic7 thermal paste with some 2x ultra kaze 3k in a push/pull configuration you could hit 4.2ghz with ht at about 80c load (refering to someone on my backup forum)

i7 920 DO stepping

You know the benefits already. I assume this rig will be running 24/7, with HT on, my recommendation is to put the 920 under water.
On Air, it'll crunch fine around 3.8 - 4, but if you're not careful with your ambients, your temps can get out of hand quick, and the noise required can be horrendous. The chips are pretty resilient, but you might as well dedicate an air conditioner to the dang thing if you plan on adding GPU crunchers as well ;)

Well, summer's about over here in Michigan so ambient shouldn't be an issue until Spring. That's enough time for me to find what water cooling block is decent for these newer CPUs and replace my pump. It mostly depends on the money I got.

Well, summer's about over here in Michigan so ambient shouldn't be an issue until Spring. That's enough time for me to find what water cooling block is decent for these newer CPUs and replace my pump. It mostly depends on the money I got.

this thread might help...:beer:

920 DO..? Still am not catching onto the DO part, lol

explain please
D0 is a revision of the core, it is lower running heat-wise. in alot of cases also requires less voltage then the previous revision core. Higher ocing is normally something you will see from new revision cores. From the history of core revision's, you will see the highest ocing from a new/first revision from a batch in the first 1-3 months of release. after that the ocing tapers off and you will see anywhere from a 200-600mhz difference in top end oc's from later batches of the same revision.

Damn if i could get a 920 D0 step for 200 i would build another i7 lol

OMFG I just looked up store locations and we are getting one in St louis area SOOON!!! wooot!

Back