• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would this make a good NAS MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Do you need all the extra slots (PCI-e, PCI)? What NAS software or operating system do you plan on using?

lol

Grab a Raspberry Pi (less than 2.9w in use, as measured with a Killawatt) and a Mondo Hub, then connect 26 HDDs to the Hub and run the Pi from one of the remanining 2 USB 3.0 ports

Probably cost less than the motherboard you linked...

Well if theres a possibility he will be transcoding on the fly then the extra CPU muscle would be appreciated. Otherwise I definitely agree.

If this is for file sharing alone you should look into one of the MITX setups. Perhaps an AMD E350/E450 or Intel Celeron.

Yes I want to be able to transcode on the fly if need be. I'm not sure which OS yet. I'm thinking windows home server or unraid. I want something simple to use but with as much flexibility as possible. I already own a raspberry pi. Why to underpowered for my needs.

I would still recommend trying to find a MITX or MATX format motherboard. File sharing is easy work, transcode streaming is a bit heavy but nothing too intense if its only one device.

Id recommend if you can afford it trying to find a case with however many hot swap bays as you will be using also.

Back