• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wth, my Athlon Xp 3000 wont get over 1.09 ghz!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Now that we have three moderators converging on this thread at once...

Welcome to the forums!

I want to remind everyone here that we all started out somewhere, and this place has always existed to provide helpful advice to ANYONE and EVERYONE who comes here. We WILL NOT tolerate anyone being disrespectful or flaming anyone here becuase they somehow feel above the question that was asked.

Finally, I did move this thread, it is probably more appropriate in ASUS AMD Boards, since it does sound like a problem with your board.

--- EDIT: 4 moderators...help arrives quickly around here. :)

Good to see all the mods here. :)

Indeed, help is fast. I had just moved it to AMD processors, but I agree that it better belongs in Asus AMD boards and moved it back. ;) -- Paul

So at last, did you tried the jumper? My board has a 100/133-166+ jumper for the fsb too in case of overclocking the s*** out of it and leaving it dead without being able to recover through cmos reset, so it is useful yo avoid the using of a "duron 100mhz fsb trick" to set the fsb back to 100mhz.

Jumper image

So at last, did you tried the jumper? My board has a 100/133-166+ jumper for the fsb too in case of overclocking the s*** out of it and leaving it dead without being able to recover through cmos reset, so it is useful yo avoid the using of a "duron 100mhz fsb trick" to set the fsb back to 100mhz.
^^ Wow.... I didnt know it had a jumper.

I could SWEAR that my friend's A7N8X Deluxe didnt have that.. Oh well.

On that note qsda, I believe you are using the wrong BIOS set. The lack of Firewire and onboard Gigabit LAN is what its searching for.

Try getting on another machine and verifying that you do infact have the correct BIOS. I think ur trying to flash using the Dlx BIOS, not the regular A7N8X BIOS.

Hope this helps...

:(

wow...this has got to be the most mods I have seen in a thread under 2 pages.

Anyways, I think someone edited my post.....oh well...it was just a comment on the quickness of mod actions. Probably should not have said it.

Back to the point, no questions are too stupid here! Well, computer related. If it was "how do I get goo out of my hair?" that would go in GD :D

Hey thanks for the welcome guys!
I've tried all kinds of settings in the bios as well as jumpers...it proved, it has nothing to do with them.
As for the right bios, I do have the right one, unless Asus sent me A7n8X Deluxe and marked it as regular A7N8X - very unlikely.
well i'm gonna try to clean up the cpu dye and reapply the thermal compound and see if it does anything if not, I guess I have to RMA it.

Neo-Tebow2000 said:
Right now, my first thoughts are maybe the mobo isnt cutting it and wont let you OC anymore.. What does it say in the BIOS when you try to OC over 1.09

it doesnt say anything. it just lets me oc it to 200x11 or whatever and run like 1.12ghz.

Hmm make sure you only put the compound on the little core in the middle of the chip, not the brown or green colored part ;) Perhaps this is a faulty CPU and is locked at a lower multiplier. That is what it seems like. Hmm...maybe it is locked and thermal compound shorted a bridge and changed the locked multi to something else? Can you give us a pic of your CPU?

yeah the compound is only on the dye. i dont have any digital cameras or anything so i cant post any pics, but anyway im rma -ing the cpu not the mobo.

OK. Cool. Good call, I beleive it probably was the CPU. It probably got locked or something. One possibility is fraud, someone could have taken something like a mobile or something and tried to bridgemod it to 3000+ multi, and screwed it up. Anyways, probably something wrong with the CPU and it is locked at a low Multi. Post back with any info. Although, if the CPU was locked at a low multi, you still should have been able to change the FSB.

OK I posted this on the cpu forum where this thread seems to be running concurrently! My thoughts are it is not a mobo fault merely the Asus's inability to recognise all 5 parts of the multi. I assume you have the 166 version of the XP3000 meaning 13 x 166 (that is 8x bit set to high). when you try to run a multi with the 8x bit set to low like 10.5 for example it cannot manipulate it correctly and it would appear to be booting at 6.5 x 166. (Its not at 100FSB as with a frequency of 1.09 no such multi exists!). Try to manually set the multi in the bios to 13. If you want to get the lower multis then the cpu or socket need to be modded for your mobo.

Back