• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X1900XT unstable in 3D, tried everything

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aggybong

Registered
Coming from a previously 100% stable system, I was surprised to see all the crashing with my X1900XT. I even found that running ATI Tools artifact finder would lock up my machine instantly (putting it into power save mode) if the card was set to default 3D Clocks (621\725), but not at 500\600. I've tried all 3 drivers available (CD, Omega 6.1, Beta 6.2s) but the problem still happens.

After I ruled software out, I moved on to possible hardware problems. The specs of my machine (Which ran great with my previous 7800GTX):
A64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.5ghz (Tested 100% stable)
DFI Ultra-D using 623 Bios
2x512mb Corsair XMS Memory
BBATI X1900XT at stock speeds currently using 6.2 beta drivers
Creative X-Fi
320GB Western Digital SATA HD
Benq DVD+RW
Forton Bluestorm 500W PSU (2x15amp 12v)
OCZ ModStream 520W (1x28amp 12v) (it's all CompUSA had that was single rail and high enough amps)

I bought the OCZ today hoping it would help, but it certainly doesn't. I've used a DMM on both power supplies, and found the Forton would drop from 12.24v~ to 12.05v~ when running 3D, and the OCZ goes from 12.13v~ to 11.97v~ and still crashes doing the artifact tester with ATI Tools. I put in my GF7800GTX which I haven't sold yet and found the power drops were about the same, but I experienced no crashes.

So, what could possibly be the problem? I noticed ATI Tool has a nifty GPU current draw, and saw it reached as high as 19.1amp at 500\600, and 21+amps when at 600\700 or so before crashing. Is that normal? It seems extremely high for a graphics card, but since this is a new feature, I don't have anything to compare it to.

Last edited:
I don't think that modstream is beefy enough. I'd go with PowerStream 520w.
or maybe you just got unlucky and got a bad card? I'd try a beefier powersupply first, then id rma the card if it still locked up or w/e

I'm pretty sure the power supply is fine, it's something else.

OK, while in 2D, the default VGPU is 1.2v, correct? And when you switch to 3D, it's supposed to go to 1.3-1.35 (not sure)? After someone suggested I manually set the VGPU to 1.35 and reset the clocks, everything seems to work.

So for some reason, when switching to 3D using the normal Catalyst drivers, it bumps the clocks to 625\725, but doesn't bother to change the VGPU from 1.2 to 1.35, causing problems. Interesting...now how the hell do you even fix that? I would like everything to work at stock before attempting any kind of OCing :\

1) Find max's in ATT does not work on any x1x00 AFAIK. The beta 12b supposedly doesn't crash the system, but it doesn't recognize artifacts either ;) You'll need to find your max clocks the old-fashioned way...manually up them and bench to see what works/doesn't.

2) Pretty sure 3D mode runs 1.400V default, but may be between 1.3-1.4V depending on load. I set mine for 1.45V max for benching using the stock cooler. Just keep an eye on temps. 1.400V or less should definitely be safe.

3) ATT only shows you 2D voltages...it will not "update" to 3D voltage when an app switches the card to 3D mode. In fact, AFAIK ATT knows nothing about 3D mode at all, it's designed to work without the 2D/3D switch by disabling the ATI Hotkey Poller and ATI Smart services (ati2evxx.exe's). If you disable those services, reboot, then whatever you set in ATT will both your 2D and 3D clocks 24/7. Don't forget to raise the vGPU before making the "2D" default clocks match the default 3D clocks.

4) Make sure you set a fan profile in ATT. The stock fan just doesn't budge over 27% til like >80C, if at all. IIRC, disabling the ATI services also stops the fan control, but I've never let it get that hot to find out :)

5) Don't use several OC apps for changing clocks on the same boot (CCC, ATT, Overclocker). There is definitely some interference. If I set clocks in ATT and then set them again later using Overclocker without rebooting, the clocks do not go to what I set and are usually LOWER than default.

6) The voltages in Overclocker are nowhere near correct. Use ATT to set voltages no matter what you use to set clocks.

Last post before I have to leave for a few hours:

FYI, Rivatuner can now be modified to support the X1900XT, which is what I used to test this.

I uninstalled ATI Tools and re-enabled the Hotkey Poller. I ran Rivatuner and watched as 2D went from 1.2v to 1.45v and the clocks from 500\600 to 621\725, but I still had problems. I then decided to completely uninstall the CCC, but leave the drivers installed, and tried again. Presto. Zero problems and everything seemingly works. There is something wrong with CCC, but I don't know what. I'm assuming most of you don't even have it installed, which is why I'm seemingly the only one with issues.

I run it and it's fine. I did have to re-install once due to coruption an a benching rig but that was easy as pie. My guess would be your case temps are too high, try setting something above stock fan speeds on the card and see if it goes away.

The temps are fine, I've already checked those. Card idles at 50c, goes to about 75c under full load.

aggybong said:
The temps are fine, I've already checked those. Card idles at 50c, goes to about 75c under full load.

Well those sound fine but you could still bump up the fan speeds and see if it makes any difference ;)

Or maybe not.....

How much physical memory are your games using? Are you controlling the size of your paging file or are you letting Windows do it?

Take the modstream back and get the powerstream. You can't test the PSU by replacing it with one known to be an underperformer.

I've already verified it's not the PSU, so it doesn't really matter at this point

Back