• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X2 555 BE core unlocking and HSF question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deaks2

Registered
I just replaced the core of my X2 4800+ S939 system with the components listed in my sig below.

I tried the quad-core unlock just for kicks (I really don't need an X4, if I did I would have bought one) and I get checksum errors in either X4 or X3 modes. In X3 mode I even tried both core 3 and 4, still no go. I assume that as long as the mobo support ACC (in this case Bio-Unlocking...) the issue is the CPU and not the mobo? For example, this CPU probably has 2 dead cores and a DFI or Asus mobo will not make a difference?

Secondly, I am currently using the stock HSF, I was planning on using my Thermalright XP-120, however, the mounting bracket does not fit on this board. I also have an older all copper Thermaltake Volcano 12, it seems quite a bit larger than the stock HSF and since it is all copper, it should dissapate the heat better. Should I swap that HSF into the machine?

Finally, from what I have read the 555 BE is a nice oc'er, what kind of clockspeed should I shoot for with either the stock HSF or the Volcano 12? I have seen some at 4+ Ghz, however, I am quite sure they are using some exotic cooling.

Thanks!

What are your load core temps now? Your OC will depend a lot on how cool you can keep the CPU. Temps in the mid-50's are usually as high as you'll want to go though I've seen some 550 OC's around 60°C. Typical numbers that I've seen with very good air cooling (not exotic) are 3.6-4.0 GHz.

Even though it's not an X4 you might want to look through Dolk's Guide for the Phenom II for some tips on OC'ing it ...

I have pretty much given up on unlocking the extra cores...

My idle temps are in the low 20's and my load temps are between 45-49 deg C. I am currently clocking this chip up, thus far I am at 3.8 Ghz with 1.375v vCore.

Well, I nice and stable with 2 cores at 3.8 Ghz with 1.4v vCore. Thanks for your insight!

3.8ghz is pretty damn good for a $100 chip and a low-end cooler. what's your temps like at 3.8ghz with 1.4v core? If its like 53C - 55C I bet you could hit 4.0ghz with a 120mm cooler, or one of those ever popular Corsair H50's

3.8ghz is pretty damn good for a $100 chip and a low-end cooler. what's your temps like at 3.8ghz with 1.4v core? If its like 53C - 55C I bet you could hit 4.0ghz with a 120mm cooler, or one of those ever popular Corsair H50's
Load temps at stock speeds with the Volcano 12 were around 45 deg C, at 3.8 Ghz with 1.4v I hit 54-55 deg C.

I don't think a $50 cooler can be justified for an extra 200 Mhz oc :)

What RPM are you running that fan at? I know with my Venus 12, even at 2700mhz it is still the loudest fan in my system, and i have old TT Thunderblades on a fan controller at 1400rpm just to try to keep the noise down. About all i could see you getting a new cooler for aside from better temps is much quieter operation. If that doesnt appeal to you, then keep what you got.

I am actually running an 80mm 6-blade fan (2200 rpm) that's very quiet on the Volcano HS. As for investing more in an HSF, unless I find that I lose stability this summer due to heat, I cannot justify a $25 cooler for a less than $100 CPU that already runs as quick as a $200 CPU in most tasks.

And that was a big part of the beginning of overclocking anyway. Pay less for a system then bring it up to the performance level of the expensive system ... :)

Werd. All thanks to Tom's Hardware back in the day.

P-100 @ 120, Celeron 266 @ 448, P3-700 @ 933, P4-1.6A @ 2.53, A64 3200+ @ 2.7

I have my x2 555 BE running just the stock dual core at 4.0GHz on just air. Prime stable for hours on end. My idle temp is 24c and load is around 34-36c. I'm using the Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme with 2 Scythe 120mm fans on it and of course the almighty Arctic Silver 5.

Last edited:
Back