• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x570 Master XMP not working with 3000mhz GSkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Method320

Registered
I have some old-ish 3000mhz gskill ram I was using in my x99 system. 32GB total via 4 8GB sticks. Specifically these sticks: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015FY49ZW/ (In case amazon link doesnt work: F4-3000C15D-16GTZB C4-24000 CL15 (15-16-16-35) )

I bought a gigabyte x570 Master and a 3800x (I got impatient when the board came in, I'll be upgrading to a 5900x soon)

If I turn XMP on, the board boot loops. Never posts, can never get into the bios. Eventually it'll reset bios on its own or I reset it myself and I can get back in.

If I set memory multiplier to 30.0 and dram voltage to 1.35, I get an error in windows.

IRvvzTM.png

I'm not familiar enough with memory overclocking to know what to try next. Bios is fully up to date at F31h, came out of the box with F22.

Any ideas?

I would have stayed at F22, which is for the generation of Ryzens you're currently using. F31 is for the Zen 3 5000 series CPUs and has a different AGESA code.

It wasn't working with F22 so, figured I'd update. I can roll back of course.

If it didn't work, I wouldn't roll back. The new BIOS, regardless if it adds support for new processors, should work fine. It isn't 'for' specific processors as in it will bork/degrade others, typically.

4x8GB likely requires you to add .1V or so of SOC voltage to help the IMC out. Set XMP and while doing so, manually set the SOC voltage .1V over stock and see if that helps.

Being older memory and AMD being finicky though................. who knows if it will work (try manually setting things and adding SOC voltage too).

Bios indicates default SOC voltage is 1.2, I set it to 1.3 and turned XMP on, no luck. seems to be boot-looping again, after getting stuck on debug code "C3", which according to the manual is just a reserved code, so not sure there.

Set SOC voltage to 1.3, memory multiplier to 30.00, dram voltage to 1.35, got a _little_ farther but still error'd out.

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 3.04.33 PM.png

Same settings as above, but dropped to 28.66 multiplier and increased SOC voltage to 1.312, and Im in windows..hmm

CPUZ shows timings as....pretty bad. I assume these are all ddr4 defaults. I've never manually changed timings so, not sure here WU6QDqi.png

Last edited:
It isn't reading those sticks right for whatever reason...those timings match none of the profiles.

If F22 didn't do it and the latest didn't do it. Being older (not too old) sticks, I'd look into buying something newer and on the compatibility list.

Tried setting this with no luck. Seems to be boot looping again/not posting

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 3.31.41 PM.png

I would disable XMP, set manual DDR4-3000 CL16-18-18-38 1.40/1.45V and everything else leave at auto. If it won't work then probably memory is really old (as you said), from series that couldn't run at much more than ~3000 and then you can't make much. There can be also some incompatibility between so many generations. You can check memory IC using for example Thaiphoon Burner software but I'm not sure if it's going to help if we know what IC is there as memory released with X99 chipset couldn't really make much more and Ryzen motherboards are not really tuned for older IC.

Back