• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X570 Steel Legend/Extreme4, 8+2 DrMOS VRM. Enough for 3900X? (recommendations?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Helgaiden

Assuming PBO and XFR work well enough, i may not venture into overclocking a 3900X. However, if i can lock down an all-core overclock thats as fast or faster than the advertised boost clock, good chance thats what i'll go after. From what i can tell, the X570 Steel Legend and Extreme4 from Asrock use an 8+2 phase DrMos VRM setup. Would that suffice for a 3900X? The steel legend has the features and look im after, but if there are better choices at/around/below its $200 pricepoint, i'd love to hear all yall's mobo recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Did more digging and starting to seem like the X570 Aorus Elite that costs the same but has 12+2 VRM design might be a smarter choice.

Last edited:
It should be more than enough. Most X570 mobos with full 12-16 core support have 8+2 power phases. The same in most brands and models, even the cheapest MSI has the 8+2 design. I wouldn't panic because of that. You will find thermal throttling a bigger problem than the power design.
Of course, there are boards with more power phases but after looking at the specs I'm not sure if it's really required or if it's going to help anyone. I guess we will see some comparisons soon but all reviews so far are showing similar results on various motherboards.

All X570 boards are supposed to be capable of handling that chip, at least at stock. That board is fine for overclocking too.

You won't be able to get past its boost clock it seems but this is mostly due to thermals. Our review with a 3x120mm custom loop was stopped around 4.3 GHz.

It should be more than enough. Most X570 mobos with full 12-16 core support have 8+2 power phases. The same in most brands and models, even the cheapest MSI has the 8+2 design. I wouldn't panic because of that. You will find thermal throttling a bigger problem than the power design.
Of course, there are boards with more power phases but after looking at the specs I'm not sure if it's really required or if it's going to help anyone. I guess we will see some comparisons soon but all reviews so far are showing similar results on various motherboards.

Yeah i get that. I watched one of Buildzoid's VRM analysis videos on one of the cheaper MSI boards that was 8+2 and he said because of the heat dissipation from the heatsinks in conjunction to the 8+2 VRM design, its fine for up to 12 cores but he wouldn't put the 3950X on it. Hoping to see more mobo reviews come out so we can all better gauge how things turn out. The Aorus Elite board is impressive for the price in that regard though. As good a VRM setup as the $300 Asrock Taichi X570.

All X570 boards are supposed to be capable of handling that chip, at least at stock. That board is fine for overclocking too.

You won't be able to get past its boost clock it seems but this is mostly due to thermals. Our review with a 3x120mm custom loop was stopped around 4.3 GHz.

Dang, 4.3 really. Thats what i keep seeing too. Was hoping to get closer to 4.5.

Back