• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x800 xt questions, please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yo4444

I just installed an x800 xt in a new 3500 a64 system and I'm wondering if 3dmark or sandra should recognize it as an xt. They report x800 but not the xt. Also, what should default clocks be on the xt? I will not be OCIng this thing, as its a customer build, but I'd like to get as much performance out of it as possible with stock setings. Should I use the Omega drivers?
also got these 3dmark scores with 1 gig 3200 corsair, 3500, 2x seagate 120gig in raid 0..
3dmark 03 11680 stock
3dmark 01 23810 stock

got it at gameve. sapphire xt
Ati tool shows clocks at 500/500. So maybe looks ok?
Also, winxp reports it as xt when right clicking desktop and hitting advanced settings/adapter tabs.

sorry to be off topic but how did you get a job or into the position to be building custom computers for people? is it your own company?

As it is, I would not install anything but WHQL certified ATi drivers on a customer's computer, no matter what. The performance gain by going with Omega drivers is negligible compared to the peice of mind of knowing that anything that ever goes wrong with a customer's PC is either the customer's fault or ATi's, and not your own.

Trios

Not at the moment, I have another small business, but I enjoy it and have some friends that have me build their gaming pcs. Another friend and I are thinking about doing it for a living, but I don't think there's enough of a market for high end gaming pc's online, and a local shop is not in our budget at the moment, as it would require a bit of marketing to get our name out. Most peole buying online are looking for budget machines, and the compitition in that area leaves no profit margin.

Trios said:
As it is, I would not install anything but WHQL certified ATi drivers on a customer's computer, no matter what. The performance gain by going with Omega drivers is negligible compared to the peice of mind of knowing that anything that ever goes wrong with a customer's PC is either the customer's fault or ATi's, and not your own.

Trios
That's what I was thinking also, but it is a friend so I wouldn't be opposed to fixing the problems for him.

Austin, did you need to get better cooling to hit pe speeds with your xt?

yo4444 said:
I just installed an x800 xt in a new 3500 a64 system and I'm wondering if 3dmark or sandra should recognize it as an xt. They report x800 but not the xt. Also, what should default clocks be on the xt? I will not be OCIng this thing, as its a customer build, but I'd like to get as much performance out of it as possible with stock setings. Should I use the Omega drivers?
also got these 3dmark scores with 1 gig 3200 corsair, 3500, 2x seagate 120gig in raid 0..
3dmark 03 11680 stock
3dmark 01 23810 stock

500/500 defaults.

Mine shows as "x800 Series" rather than x800 XT. Flash to a PE BIOS if you're interested in what it "appears" as.

Sucka said:
500/500 defaults.

Mine shows as "x800 Series" rather than x800 XT. Flash to a PE BIOS if you're interested in what it "appears" as.
Wouldnt that involve upping mem/gpu speeds, temps and require more cooling?
Also, I don't care how it appears, as long as I truly got what I ordered, which now seems to be the case.

yo4444 said:
Wouldnt that involve upping mem/gpu speeds, temps and require more cooling?
Also, I don't care how it appears, as long as I truly got what I ordered, which now seems to be the case.

Yes, it would clock your card (by default) to 520/560. And it shouldn't require more cooling, it's a matter of whether or not your card could handle the bump up. If that's something you're interested in, i suggest you clock it to those specs, and test stability. If it's tottaly stable, safe to say it'll flash without any problems. Check the card itself, should have a sticker on it saying x800XT. But yeah, my Sapphire appears in software as "x800 Series". I wouldn't worry about it, just make sure it's clocked to 500/500 and has all 16 pipes enabled.

ATI tool reports 500/500 with 16 pipes, and sticker says xt, so I think I'm O.K. As for OCing it, I will do it if he wants it done later on. I think it'll handle just about anything out there right now as it is. Should be able to run HL2 without a problem?

It should run hl2 good....I've seen many people w/ 9800pro's that say it run great!

I can run it 1600x1200, 6xaa, 16af, but usually only use 4xaa....gotta love these 4.12's :D (DEF. use cat 4.12's)

But it should run hl2 no prob, giving ur CPU is also pretty good....

yo4444 said:
are the 4.12's older? Better drivers?

Your card is top of the line, it'll run Half Life like a dream. And 4.12's are the latest driver set, so yes, they are the "best" official drivers.

Thx all. Just for reference, so I can answer the question when he asks it, I want to know about flashing it to PE. I've read that the xt and xt-pe are basically the same card with the xt underclocked or vice-versa. If this happens to be the case, and the one I have will handle PE speeds when manually overclocked(not flashed), is it correct to assume that there will be no decrease in the life of the card if it is flashed since it is basically the same as a pe retail?(again, assuming it has same mem and core and will handle pe speeds.)

There is a sticky on flashing. I don't understand why anyone with a XT would want to flash to a PE, just clock the card over PE speeds, the only thing you get out of it is it reading as an XT PE in windows. Must be for those "my dad can beat up your dad" kind of people :p

Back