• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xbox360 Warranty Extended to 1 Year

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

John G

I might have missed this in another thread or maybe I'm way behind the times, but...

"Xbox 360™ brings you top quality customer service.

Effective December 22, 2006, the Xbox 360 console warranty has been extended to one year from the date of purchase. The extended warranty applies to new customers and existing Xbox 360 owners. If you experience hardware issues with your Xbox 360 console within one year of purchase, your console will be repaired at no cost*.

Now, that’s a holiday gift, indeed. Play with confidence and enjoy the best of next generation gaming. Celebrate the holiday season with a catalog of over 160 high-definition games, the freedom of wireless accessories, and the online entertainment you can experience with your friends on Xbox Live®.

To find out more information on this policy change, please visit www.xbox.com/en-us/support. Should you have questions regarding this policy change or experience any hardware issues, you can also visit: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/contact/ or call 1-800-4-MY-XBOX and speak with an agent.

Remember to register your Xbox 360 console at My Xbox . Plus, share the good news with your friends, who can sign up for more great information from Xbox® here!

The next generation is now!

* (standard warranty exclusions still apply)"

This is pretty cool. :) Would make me feel better about buying one. I'm waiting for the process shrink since I'm in no rush to get a console right now.

What was the warranty previously? One year seems pretty standard, I'd think that would be the minimum.

Yuck. That's not very long. Glad they made it a more reasonable 12 months. I never seriously considered an Xbox, but a 90 day warranty would've definately deterred me.

Just bought a 360 premium from EB Games. Got free GRAW and a one year replacement plan. If something goes wrong they'll just give me another 1. Sale ends today.

I am glad for this. I made a thread at xbox.com about how the drives are failing. Alot of people are expericing these problems and I didn't want to buy a new one. Will be sending it in now.

TimoneX said:
Yuck. That's not very long. Glad they made it a more reasonable 12 months. I never seriously considered an Xbox, but a 90 day warranty would've definately deterred me.

90 days is pretty much standard for game consoles. Pretty yucky, but normal. Although, I've always heard stories of people calling and throwing a fit and getting some things fixed after the 90 days was up.

1 year is a whole lot better. It helps people get past hearing stories about failing hardware and being worried about being out some money.

I'm sure we are seeing this now because of the competition from Nintendo and Sony. They don't want gamers to choose a competitor just because they're afraid a 360 might break.

90 days does not convey much confidence in their product, I wouldn't be even a little comfortable buying a product with such poor support. Hope we see all the console manufacturers go to 1 year minimum warranties.

If you pay for it using an Amex they double your warranty. If it breaks after the first year in the second year and you paid for in on an Amex take it to one of their testing retailers(most Fry's and Best Buys) get a death certificate for it and mail it to American Express Customer Service Warranty department. They then cut you a check for the retail cost of a new replacement model. So if you paid 400 for a 360 when they first came out and now they sell for 300 they cut you a check for 300. So far Amex is the only one who does this that I have found.

Back