• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xeon e3 1245 v3 vs i7 4790 /ram question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCEnthusiast916

Hi guys I'm considering a new build running Intel this time and I was wondering if the i7 4790 is worth the extra cash over the Xeon 1245 v3? Also I plan on running 2400mhz ram and I noticed on the motherboard I'm interested in it says 2400 o.c. supported. Does that require a cpu overclock to achieve? and do I need a K series processor to achieve that ram speed?
The motherboard and ram I intend on using are.

ASUS Z97-a
Corsair Vengance pro 8gb @2400mhz(2x4gb)

I plan to do some gaming but mainly music production.

if you are building new go with the skylake, there will be no new toys for z97, go z170 in a new build and go with ddr4 ram.
2400 oc means you will have to set the ram up manualy at 2400, not oc the cpu.

I would think that for your use xeon would be the way to go over either the 4790 or skylake, but lets let the big dogs chime in.

Thx dude for the help on the ram question also I plan buying the processor used off eBay Xeon is $240 and 4790 is $260 the prices are so close and I'm curious if the $20 difference is worth it.

Is 200mhz stock speed difference worth $20 to you? That is the only difference. ;)

The z97 board will allow the ram to reach 2400mhz.

Honestly I'm not sure tbh will 200mhz make a big enough difference for video encoding? I'm going from a phenom ii x6 1055t so I'm sure the difference would be huge either way. What would u personally choose?

Back