• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP vs Win 7 speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Opusbuild

Hi all.

I have netbook with a nano processor and 2 GB Ram. Just wondering if I should keep XP on it or Windows 7. It came with XP. Which would provide the faster usage. I am talking about just internet browsing, email, ms office. Or would both offer the same performance. Thanks.

Barring leaning it up XP will use less resources to run. However something's just run faster on 7. For what you describe I would just stay with XP

you might look into a super lightweight linux distro.
I use puppy linux on a flash drive, it's a rocket.

you might look into a super lightweight linux distro.
I use puppy linux on a flash drive, it's a rocket.

Would I then need to use wine to run ms office? Would it then run the same as if I was using windows XP or 7? Thanks

Would I then need to use wine to run ms office? Would it then run the same as if I was using windows XP or 7? Thanks

Most Linux Distros have OpenOffice or LibreOffice installed. Does it HAVE to be Windows Office?

To answer your initial question, I would stick with XP. There is a version called Tiny XP you could look into that strips everything out of XP that isn't completely necessary. Only available through Torrent, but I've heard good things.

Last edited:
Tiny XP is also available, or was on Hirens boot CD. Iir, it only runs for a certain amount of time, I could be wrong. I've used it get files off of a hard drive with a corrupted Windows install.

Back