• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP x64 Pro too fat!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

codeseven

Registered
My XP x64 Pro OS is installed on a 15gig partition within my 74gig Rapter HD. A clean install takes up 10gigs and by the time all the MS Updates are installed theres very little room for anyhting else. I would like my OS partition to be 20gigs but an option to exrend that partition during install does'nt exist (I think?). Also, I dont see how to extend that partition using Disk Management. Is there an easy way to extend that partition? Thanks

so you have 1 drive and 20g for OS nd the rest for?

20G is small even by XP Pro 32bit standards once you get all your apps and games installed.

You need a 3rd party program to change partitions unless yo back up everyone on your harddrive, reinstall the OS and do it during installation.

I think any basic disk management program can extend partitions.

However, I personally cant recommend you a disk management program because i've never used one.

Im sure there is a free version somewhere, but a quick google led me to here:

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/

acronis.com said:
Acronis Partition Manager allows you to resize, move, copy, split, and merge partitions without losing your data

Mr.Guvernment said:
so you have 1 drive and 20g for OS nd the rest for?

20G is small even by XP Pro 32bit standards once you get all your apps and games installed.

You need a 3rd party program to change partitions unless yo back up everyone on your harddrive, reinstall the OS and do it during installation.

Hi, thanks for the help. I currently only have one actual 'partition' (C) which is 15gigs, the rest is unallocated. Also, if 20gigs is small, what size OS partition should I be making?

TheCheat, if that program will work in x64, I guess I could dowload the Trial version, change the 'C' partition size, then re-install the OS onto then larger 'C' partition.

Last edited:
Why install all the updates and bloats? I have SP2 installed and nothing else. Those bugs and leakholes are abused by those who plug directly into the modem and do not have a firewall.

SP2 is fast and clean. Anything post SP2 unless mandatory for driver problems I don't even bother to install.

My full bloat XP Pro is 1.8GB.
My streamlined benchmarking XP Pro is 560MB.

yes, because when you browse that webpage that has an exploit to a recent XP hole... it cant get past your firewall......

Back