• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yate Loons no good to pair with dual heatercore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

realjones

Registered
From my reading, the yate loons D12SL (CFM 47, DB 28) seem to be the premier choice for quiet cooling fans with regards to radiator/HC cooling. I bought a 77 Boneville heatercore (the 2-302) because it looked like a very good choice for price/performance. However, from further reading, the dual heatercore appears to deliver the performance I am looking for only when paired with louder, higher CFM fans, like the panaflo M1A (CFM 87, DB 36). Is this correct?

What I'm looking for is the best combo of somewhat quiet and performance for a dual radiator/heatercore to overclock as high as possible. The best choice looks like the Thermochill PA120.2 with Yate loon D12SL, but that is a bit expensive imo. I thought the next best choice would be dual heatercore with yate loons, but now I am not so sure. Is there a standard "next step down" for quiet performance?

Rest of parts:
D5 Pump
Swiftech storm and MCW60
E6400, x1900xt, asus p5b

Thanks.

realjones said:
What I'm looking for is the best combo of somewhat quiet and performance for a dual radiator/heatercore to overclock as high as possible.
Quiet and overclock as high as possible are two things that do not go together. you will have to sacrifice one for the other.

An often used option is to put on high CFM fans and use a rheostat to slow (quiet) them down when not overclocked.

The BIP rads are some others that are designed to work with lower CFM fans.

2 - Performance order (best to worst) based on final coolant temp, cooled with YateLoon 120mm fan - lower the "k" figure (difference between coolant temp and air temp), cooler the coolant, therefore better the performance...

At 600rpm:
Thermochill PA120.3 - 7k
Watercool HTSF - 8k
Watercool HTSF3-x - 8.4k
Cooltek Maxistream / Swiftech MCR - 8.4k
Black Ice GT - 9.2k
Black Ice Extreme - 11k
Alphacool NexXxos Pro - 11.2k
Black Ice GT X-Flow - 12.1k
Black Ice Extreme X-Flow - 12.3k
Alphacool NexXxos Extreme - 14k

At 900rpm:
ThermoChill - 6.2k
Cooltek - 6.9k
BIGT - 7.2k
WC HTSF - 7.3k
BIGT-XFlow - 7.3k
WC HTSF3-x - 7.4k
NexXxos Pro - 7.5k
BIX - 8.5k
NexXxos Extreme - 8.5k
BIX-XFlow - 9.5k

At 1200rpm:
ThermoChill - 4.2k
Cooltek - 5.6k
BIGT - 5.7k
BIGT-XFlow - 5.9k
BIX - 5.9k
NexXxos Pro - 6.1k
NexXxos Extreme - 6.1k
HTF3-x - 6.3k
HTSF - 6.3k
BIX-XFlow - 6.6k

Swiftech MCR220QP (Cooltek) with YateLoons will beat the majority of other brands 2x120 rads.

realjones said:
From my reading, the yate loons D12SL (CFM 47, DB 28) seem to be the premier choice for quiet cooling fans with regards to radiator/HC cooling. I bought a 77 Boneville heatercore (the 2-302) because it looked like a very good choice for price/performance. However, from further reading, the dual heatercore appears to deliver the performance I am looking for only when paired with louder, higher CFM fans, like the panaflo M1A (CFM 87, DB 36). Is this correct?

What I'm looking for is the best combo of somewhat quiet and performance for a dual radiator/heatercore to overclock as high as possible. The best choice looks like the Thermochill PA120.2 with Yate loon D12SL, but that is a bit expensive imo. I thought the next best choice would be dual heatercore with yate loons, but now I am not so sure. Is there a standard "next step down" for quiet performance?

Rest of parts:
D5 Pump
Swiftech storm and MCW60
E6400, x1900xt, asus p5b

Thanks.

Heater cores are fairly restrictive to air flow, hence they need higher CFM fans and shrouds to perform at their best. A good solution is to go with 100+ CFM fans undervolted to 5V or 7V. A better solution is to go with 100+ CFM fans on a fan controller. A simple rheostat will suffice, but a controller that varies fan speed based on one or more temperature sensors will be even better. Some motherboards will do this with the on-board fan headers, but it would better to use a separate controller and not have the fans draw their power from the motherboard.

Arguably the best step down from the Thermochill PA120.2 with low CFM fans is the Swifttech MCR220.

For real silence most of those high CFM fans have too much bearing noise even at low RPM to be a good choice. Yes the heater cores can be restrictive but then so can the so called silent oriented radiators. I have used the Yeate loumb at high volts and high overclock even with the yate loons undervolted with a good shroud they are much more effective than most would expect. I tried Panflow M but there just wasnt any real difference in temps even at full speed. At full speed the fans are too noisy to qualify as quiet.

You can always change the fans out later if there3 is a need but if you use a good shroud the Yeate loumbs are fine. I would also try to get a slightly larger dual core for extra surface area if you can make it fit.

Unfortunately no one bothers to actually test the heater cores with a shroud so everyone is simply guessing at the true resistance/ effectiveness of a core.

If anyone has a real comparison with a low speed fan and a heatercore pleas post it up.

billb said:
Quiet and overclock as high as possible are two things that do not go together. you will have to sacrifice one for the other.

An often used option is to put on high CFM fans and use a rheostat to slow (quiet) them down when not overclocked.

The BIP rads are some others that are designed to work with lower CFM fans.

Prove it. That used to be the case, but with the performance of the PA series, particularly using a PA120.3, you can have the best of both worlds. Go with Marci's recommendation. The PA rads are worth the money for the performance and quality. Not to mention you have to give credit to a vendor willing to recommend another companies' product for your situation.

SolidxSnake said:
Price, performance, noise. Pick two ;)

why must there always be a trade off :cry:

Since the Yate loons are $5 a fan and I already have a heatercore, I guess I don't have much too lose by at least trying it.

If I am not satisfied then I will look into the MCR220 and PA120.2

From the test results posted it seems that the general consensus that the PA 120.2 is a better performing radiator than the MCR220QP.

realjones said:
why must there always be a trade off :cry:

Since the Yate loons are $5 a fan and I already have a heatercore, I guess I don't have much too lose by at least trying it.

If I am not satisfied then I will look into the MCR220 and PA120.2

From the test results posted it seems that the general consensus that the PA 120.2 is a better performing radiator than the MCR220QP.

That is true. Get 4 of them, push/pull, and run them at 12v. If the rad doesn't get too warm, they're just fine ;)

Senater_Cache said:
what about Denkis @ 7v? I have never heard them at 7v....Im assuming they are a bit noisier than the Loons, no?

Marci, got a link to that quote's source?
from having/using both denki's @7v vs yatens sound the same to me. big difference is more air pressure from the denk since it is 38mm vs 25mm for the yate.

voigts said:
Prove it. /QUOTE]Bill Adams says in http://swiftnets.com/Technical/Assessment of Radiator Performance.pdf
6. Conclusions
Dual row radiators and heater cores have a greater heat rejection capability than single row, but to utilize the higher capability stronger fans must be used to overcome the airflow resistance. Stronger fans make more noise and it was found that with an upper limit of 34 db(A) there is no way to achieve higher performance using a dual row core similar to those tested.
Some may ask: What is a radiator’s ‘rating’? The answer is ‘it depends’. Specifically any ‘rating’ will, indeed must, define the flow rates on both the air and liquid sides and the temperature difference between the two sides. All of the thermal resistance and dissipation graphs above describe the ‘ratings’ of these radiators, but the air side flow rate is not known, only the air source (the fan) is held constant. Putting a more, or less, powerful fan on the radiator would necessitate new curves to define its ‘rating. There is no single value that describes a radiator’s ‘rating’ without also stating the flow and temperature conditions.

Marci's data does show that the PA123x3 has excellent cooing a lower airflows, but still points out that increased airflow yields increased cooling with all the rads tested.

Attachments

• Rads - Airflow vs Temp.jpg
    Rads - Airflow vs Temp.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
using a dual row core similar to those tested.
Hence the PA Series core isn't similar to those tested. BillA wasn't aware of the difference between the PA and the former HE included in that test until about a month ago. Wish he'd had access to a PA when he did that testing - sadly, they weren't released at the time when he wrote that - they were still in development.

I'm still confident that HAD it been included, it would've shone above the rest... and testing done since then backs that up to a large extent...

i have that HC and i have 120mm yate loons. back when i was watercooling one of those fans without a shoud on the center of that radiator was enough to cool my dual athlon 1700's @ 2.0 ghz... at one point i had two of them at 5v cooling 1 1700 on a different board at 2.23 (~3200+, a nice OC)

i dont see you getting the highest possible overclock with these fans and that radiator, simply because the 'highest possibe' is a-lot. give up the highest possible and settle for fairly high, and you're good.

[QUOTE='[O-CuK]
I'm still confiden[/QUOTE]Ha Ha! post...edit...post...edit...your turn

Senater_Cache said:
billb = unregistered's new alias here?
Yeah, sure, And I'm all peace and joy now!!! :-X

Interesting guess...but no, I'm not him. But I did stay at a Hollidy Inn last night!
Anyone know where he is unregstered at?

billb said:
Marci's data does show that the PA123x3 has excellent cooing a lower airflows, but still points out that increased airflow yields increased cooling with all the rads tested.

Yes, but is that 3k difference between quiet 600rpm fans and louder 1200rpm fans enough to keep one from max overclock? I sure don't claim to be an expert overclocker, but there is only so much voltage you can pump through a CPU, MB, and GPU regardless of temps. In other words, it probably isn't going to make a difference if your CPU is at 47c or 50c when it comes to overclocking. So do screaming loud fans really gain you anything at all if you have a good setup? Maybe, but maybe not.

Back