• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yet Another Major Borg Potential Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
Well for those who follow great sage and emminent techie, Arkaine23... I recently changed jobs- one call center to another, and not by choice I might add. The Telecommunications Workers of American union is neogtiating with my old employer to have me re-instated. However, that aside, at my new job (with a competitor of my previous employer, hehe), the IT guy is leaving. AND I HAVE APPLIED TO FILL HIS POSITION. With my credentials and recommendations from middle-management personell, I think I have a VERY good chance of getting this job- Field Support Technician- its called.

And so I see scattered about me, roughly 40 P4's and perhaps 180 P3's (probably between 450-733mhz) which I may very soon be soley responsible for maintaining. :drool:

Cross your fingers or maybe pray a little for your ole pal, Troy

Oh, and my home network is now folding again, but the net connection won't be on for a couple more days.

2x MP @ 2190
XP @ 2304
XP @ 1455
P3 @ 840
p2 @ 366

Last edited:
Good luck. Those P4s will be worth a lot of ppd if they can run even one instance of QMDs.
Fingers crossed, prayer said.

good luck at getting the job, not just for the points, but for your well being :)

No -advmethods or big packets on any of the corporate PC's. I think the P4's have 512mb and the lesser boxen have 256 or even 128. I probably wouldn't do a network-wide install either.

Last edited:
Well, I put in my resume and cover letter this morning. My supervisor said in the last meeting where this opening was discussed, that the management wanted to get the position filled ASAP. AFAIK, I'm the first and currently the only applicant. The IT guy is leaving on the 16th. So I'm hoping they'll interview me tomorrow. I should know more in the next few days.

Luckily (or not depending on how you look at it) this part of the US is not exactly a thriving technolpolis (Charelston, WV). I grew up in a place where it seemed even fastfood workers had MSCEs and CCNAs, and where monster.com brought 10-20 pages of hits on tech jobs (Austin, Tx). But around here, tech jobs are few and far between and might involve a hefty commute. Less competition may be good, but there's also less opportunity.

Last edited:
Arkaine23 said:
And so I see scattered about me, roughly 40 P4's and perhaps 180 P3's (probably between 450-733mhz) which I may very soon be soley responsible for maintaining.
So would it be within your power to install folding on your own whim? I know some of these "god of the LAN" type of guys have that kind of power (although the boss might raise an eyebrow if he was not told beforehand and found out later). How are you going to explain the substantial overnight jump in the power bill? Any chance of upgrading those P3s anytime soon? :D

Sounds great and I really hope it happens :)

Electricty is insanely inexpensive here. Actually water generally costs much more than power for the average person. But as I said, no network wide install, just a few test cases to start with for testing and to see what they say. I'd be the only on-site tech, but I'd have to answer to off-site senior techs nonetheless.

arkaine.... sounds like yer at fibernet. but i could be wrong. Charleston, WV does have insanely low electricity rates. However, just 35 minutes up interstate, our electric rates are much more insanely high.... (we average $150 a month bill here, for NORMAL usage... before i started F@H 24/7)

Back