• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

your thoughts on these 2 MBs (Asus vs Biostar)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

guppie

Building new AMD rig:

Phenom II X4 965 Black Ed Deneb 3.4GHz Quad Core
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

someone recommended a Biostar MB but would rather use an ASUS MB only $20 price difference.

BIOSTAR TA890FXE AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

vs.

ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
Xtreme Design, Core Unlocker, USB 3.0, CrossFireX

Would definitely upgrade to AMD 6-Core in future...

if it was me i would use the 890fx rather than the 870...
check to make sure the ram you have will work with the boards...
sometimes asus boards can be picky ..

if it was me i would use the 890fx rather than the 870...
check to make sure the ram you have will work with the boards...
sometimes asus boards can be picky ..
+1 - and that's putting it mildly. ASUS mid-grade is not so good these days, I don't know what's happened at ASUS over the past year or so. The 890FX Biostar is the better deal ...

dude, get my mobo, Its a really nice one, not that expensive, hit 4.1ghz on air stable firts shot!!! + really awesome with ram!

even tho im new here, i thought i might have input on this...

i've been asking lots and lots and lots of questions and bothering (thanks quietice & yokeman? iirc :B) ppl and they've responded to me inkind :)

i'd say BIOSTAR TA890FXE definetly, so far as i said i've been asking alot of questions here and done several days worth of research on web for my upcoming mobo and for price/quality i say BIOSTAR TA890FXE definetly.

it's reasonably priced, good chipset n'all.. well i recommend it based on my research so far

ADHD from finland signing out :salute:

+1 - and that's putting it mildly. ASUS mid-grade is not so good these days, I don't know what's happened at ASUS over the past year or so. The 890FX Biostar is the better deal ...

It's not just Asus mid-grade boards. Almost all Amd boards that aren't FX have quality control issues big time. I would also take the 890 any day.

I don't know - the Gigabyte 790X boards seemed to do pretty good ...

Well that's because all Giga-byte boards are good. :chair:

Just an update for QI, I've been benching and you remember how I mentioned no vdroop @ load on my UD5P? Well I was pushing 1.65v through the cpu and 1.45v through the cpu-nb for some wprime/superpi runs and it was rock stable. I love this board man!

Scored a good deal on a 955BE (C2 stepping). Can I just plop this cpu in and go or will I be banging my head on the wall trying to get a BIOS update or voltage correction, etc??? I don't plan on overclocking as I've read the C2 are trickier to deal with. Also, what's the likelihood of the 8xx series MBs being compatible with Bulldozer? I can't wait till 2011 so I'm upgrading now but trying to do so on a really tight budget. I guess I could pass on SATA III and USB 3.0 untill BD and SATA III become more widely utilized.

In otherwords, give me an inexpensive MB that won't drive me nuts to get this 955BE C2 working with the least hassle...

Thanks and sorry to steer away from original post.

Get the Biostar TA890FXE. Great board and will work well with the 955BE. If you have a BE processor there is no reason that you shouldn't try OC'ing that thing. I have a C2 processor with a very mild 12% OC on it. Just raise the multi a few notches and see what happens.

Biostar TA890FXE already holds a world record for OC'ing. Just might be with a 955 as well (can't remember). This is the best bang for your buck board!

what everyone else said, get the biostar, and that C2 955 will overclock easy to 3.6 on stock volts, just going higher takes a bit more.

if you're like me and only build a new system ever couple years or so, a little future proofing never hurts.

Scored a good deal on a 955BE (C2 stepping). Can I just plop this cpu in and go or will I be banging my head on the wall trying to get a BIOS update or voltage correction, etc??? I don't plan on overclocking as I've read the C2 are trickier to deal with. Also, what's the likelihood of the 8xx series MBs being compatible with Bulldozer? I can't wait till 2011 so I'm upgrading now but trying to do so on a really tight budget. I guess I could pass on SATA III and USB 3.0 untill BD and SATA III become more widely utilized.

In otherwords, give me an inexpensive MB that won't drive me nuts to get this 955BE C2 working with the least hassle...

Thanks and sorry to steer away from original post.
I don't think anyone knows what socket Bulldozer will be on. It may be AM3 it may be G34. If you're not going to OC your rig (and you're only going to run it for a few months) you may as well buy a really cheap board and let it run - save your money for next year's rig. ;)

But Khan is right - the C2 will OC, they just don't usually OC into the 4.0 range easily. But even the 940BE's (the first Phenom II CPUs) could OC 3.8 GHz will good cooling and I've seen lots of 955BE and 965BE C2's running that fast ...

You will have to check from amd,I read this from Chip magazine Jan 2010 issue.It does states that Thuban CPUs(6 core) are called Leo platform while Zambezi Bulldozer CPUS(8 core)called Scorpius platform,the chipset would be RD890+SB850,both are AM3/DDR3 platforms.:rock:Also AMD mentioned that Thuban & Zambezi are using the same AM3 Socket,only difference would be die size;Thuban:45nm,Zambezi:32nm. & native DDR3 support/1333MHz/1866Mhz

Last edited:
Back