• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

z97 Is here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Actually there is nothing really new that affects most users. Also upgrade options for Z87 and Z97 will be probably the same and will probably end on BIOS update. New CPUs with DDR4 support will need new boards anyway.
For me Z97 is just Z87 refresh. I wait for unlocked Pentiums :p

I caught a blurb the other nite surfing that said 8x will support hazewell and hazewell REfresh. 9x will support hazewll REfresh and Broadwell but not Pre-REfresh hazewell cpus.
RGone...

I caught a blurb the other nite surfing that said 8x will support hazewell and hazewell REfresh. 9x will support hazewll REfresh and Broadwell.
RGone...
EDITED for accuracy. :)

Z9x boards support pre-refresh haswell (read 4770K/4670K). ;)

Last edited:
Earthdog, how solid is your info?

as you know I am getting ready to jump ship from amd.

Actually there is nothing really new that affects most users. Also upgrade options for Z87 and Z97 will be probably the same and will probably end on BIOS update. New CPUs with DDR4 support will need new boards anyway.

True. The only benefit I seen from it is that you can use Z87 compatible CPUs on Z97 boards as well as the Haswell Refresh CPUs. Its another 1150 extended. I kind of ticks me off a little bit b/c I just bought my Z87 board less than 3 months ago.

Last edited:
New Work Station Model to support DDR3 @ 3400 ,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132126

Makes you wonder where the Entusiast level boards will land, Hoping to have definative information on the new OCF soon. Thinking we will be seeing some memory speed records smashed once DC hits the streets.

http://www.techpowerup.com/199058/i...p-haswell-e-broadwell-devils-canyon-blip.html

Memory Overclockability eh... That's way too much for my needs to benefit from

If there is an unlocked dual core along with improved memory clocking, I will get a board and cpu just for benching fun.

If there is an unlocked dual core along with improved memory clocking, I will get a board and cpu just for benching fun.

Yes, there should be some special edition Pentium with unlocked ratio.

Regarding boards. All Z87 boards dedicated for OC already have option to set memory @4GHz+. Main issue are memory controllers. In my case my 1st 4770K made ~3850MHz but all other that I had couldn't pass ~3500 even though memory clearly could make more.
All manufacturers could already mark their boards as 4000+ OC as it's never guaranteed ... option is available but in most cases it won't work anyway because of CPU.
There are Avexir modules 3200+ available for some time and they're working without issues on some boards like ASRock OCF ATX/mATX and some other.

I just hope that memory controllers will be improved in new Haswells but premiere of K chips will be in 1-2 months so we have to wait some more.

I'm also not sure if that unlocked Pentium is going to have higher bclk ratios. Current Pentiums/i3 have only 100MHz bclk so max memory clock 2933 and it's even working ( at least on my i3 4330 ). Also max bclk for most Pentiums/i3 is max ~103-104MHz.
There is also one question if unlocked Pentium will be in reasonable price and easily available. In current prices up to ~$100 it can be interesting but anything above already has no point to exist with 2 cores.
Unlocked 3 cores +HT would be fun :)

There is one more thing that some maybe noticed. If you buy Pentium then you can't use Intel SSD caching options. It's working on i3 or higher CPUs but not on Pentiums.

I haven't owned a board that showed 4K as an option and had some pretty high end boards (MPower MAX and XPower, EVGA Classified). I wish I had a chance to review the Asrock Z87 OC... perhaps the Z97 will come this way... :)

There is no 4K option. Max is 2933. To see more you have to set higher bclk. In theory 200x29.33 = ~5866MHz :) Most boards are running stable at 166+ so 166x29.33 = 4868 what is much more than you need.

Back