• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Canon 70D - Impressions, Discussion, etc.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
Well, the prosumer Canon 70D has arrived! I'm totally excited. Not so excited I won't (eventually, after using it a while) write as impartial-as-possible review about it, but excited; because coming from a T3 it's like a whole different world.

First, this is a used model. New was beyond my budget, and I got a heck of a deal on the kit with the Canon 70D and EF-S 18-55mm IS STM lens. I'll save the close-up and detailed product photos for the actual review, but here are a few preliminary shots.

Front:

20140109205905-597bc4e6.jpg

Back:

20140109205901-cacd92c0.jpg

Top:

20140109205900-5116cb52.jpg

Remember, I said it was used. It definitely does not look like it. After turning it on, the photo counter was not reset and it had a whopping 318 photos. That's about a weekend of shooting for me, so this thing has barely been used.

With Lens:

20140109205924-f22749d5.jpg

20140109205922-a4dc425f.jpg

Of course, I couldn't resist getting it outside the very day it came (the product photos were taken within an hour of its arrival...and I worked today), so samples to follow.

As the thread goes on, don't hesitate to ask questions, discuss or comment on the photos. Constructive criticism is always welcome!

Samples!

The full size samples are JPG, as they came out of the camera. I'll try fill in EXIF data later, but for now I'll just post the photos. The crops are as viewed at full size on the monitor.

These were taken with both he kit lens (18-55mm STM) and an EF-S 18-135mm IS

The kiddo had a dentist appointment and this came with us (to be used afterward), so of course I snapped a couple photos of the chairs.

Chairs:

20140109211429-1ed60238.jpg

20140109211434-2a1fcd49.jpg

Crops:

20140109211432-d2929143.jpg

20140109211435-e0865501.jpg

Now, a couple random photos.

Shamrocks, in winter...

20140109211441-7bbd8e37.jpg

Crop:

20140109211442-3b4f1844.jpg

Random pipe & manhole cover that looked kind-of cool.

20140109211446-a3cd3408.jpg

Crop:

20140109211448-2a0a5543.jpg

Bridge

20140109211438-52e7bc5c.jpg

Last edited:
Some sky photos.

20140109211443-f54ab3cf.jpg

20140109211444-0cfb96f6.jpg

Crop

20140109211445-4afed3b1.jpg

Sunset from our front yard (you can't see the horizon from here).

20140109211449-03b1d4ea.jpg

That's all for now. There is a lot to like about this camera so far. I need to use it to get past the 'zomg it's a new camera!' feeling to properly evaluate it. So far it's great though. Short live view testing shows this thing is even faster than our S95 point & shoot, which is already fast. The lens is absolutely silent; it makes me wish my 18-135mm was the STM version, but it's not worth attempting to save up for another 18-135. I'll just use the 18-55 STM for video since the camera will definitely pick up noise from the 18-135 motor.

Not sure how much further the thread will go, I won't list specifications and such, that kind of stuff will be saved for a proper review, but I'm happy to answer any questions if anybody has any. salute.gif

Last edited:
Congrats on the new toy! Did you pick it up off Adorama? Have you shot many bursts yet? That's one reason I've been interesting in picking up a 70D myself... Either that or a 7D, since a 1DX is just ridiculous. :p

Thanks! I actually snagged it from an individual. Just got lucky really.

I haven't tested tracking yet, but I shot some bursts just to see what it felt/sounded like...and it is impressive. It's definitely not quiet, but it is very fast. There is a "silent" mode that slows it down and does seem to make it quieter, bit not that much.

Sorry, I'm mobile, but go to YouTube and search for the DigitalRev TV comparison between the 7D and 70D for a good comparison.

Truth be told, even if it were a full fps slower (it's not), the rest of the technology improvements make the 70D a better choice for most people. It helps that the 70D is also cheaper and lighter.

Wow congrats on the new cam hokie. Great shots btw. Is it that much of a difference from the T3?

Night & day my friend, night & day. It's just easier to work. I'm loving the focus mode/point change button right next to the shutter button, that was a splendid idea; much more important and efficient than the flash button on the T3. Having the AF/Drive/ISO/metering buttons right there on top is also great for easy changes.

The viewfinder is superb on the 70D, especially compared to the T3. The T3's is small and dark. You can definitely tell the difference between a pentamirror and a pentaprism. Size-wise, the 70D's is huge compared to the T3. I'm sure the actual difference is small, but when it's up to your eye, you absolutely notice. 98% coverage vs. 95% is also a surprisingly important difference too for proper composition.

Oh, and speed. The 70D is blazingly fast. 3FPS vs. 7FPS (their rated speeds, I haven't timed the 70D yet) is a massive difference. Even on single shot, the shutter just sounds better.

Grats hokie! I think you'll really like it.

I looked at the 7D as well before I bought my 60D, and really didn't think it was worth the price difference. I think the 70D is a better choice, and would have gone that route had it been available at the time.

Optically, the 60D and 70D are extremely similar from everything I see. For still photos, your camera is every bit as capable as this one. The main difference is the live view/video autofocus improvement. Aside from that (and touch screen, obviously), there isn't a thing you're left wanting. Unless you like remote control via Wi-fi, which basically amounts to a gimmick. What I'm saying is, your camera is still awesome. :D

One thing I've noticed messing around in the house (it's rainy here) is that this camera over-exposes in dark'ish indoor conditions, such as a room with couple of lamps, or a shop with a couple lights in the ceiling. I have to adjust exposure compensation down to between -1.3 to -2.0 eV to get good images. It takes great images when adjusted of course, but I'm surprised how far down it has to go. The T3 usually took ~-2/3eV in similar conditions. It's no problem - all cameras to some extent try to over-expose in dark conditions, but the amount of adjustment required was unexpected.

What sort of exposure compensation do you find yourself needing in darker conditions with your cameras?

Oh, and speed. The 70D is blazingly fast. 3FPS vs. 7FPS (their rated speeds, I haven't timed the 70D yet) is a massive difference. Even on single shot, the shutter just sounds better.

Hokie,

They advertise that camera at being so fast it can capture a woman with her mouth shut! :rofl: :chair:

Interesting observation, although I guess it makes sense. The 70D is a much better low light camera than you're used to.

When you set exposure compensation, you tell the camera to adjust f-stop or shutter speed to achieve your aim. If you're shooting in AV mode, then you will notice changes in your shutter speed, or the reverse if shooting in TV mode. Usually if I'm shooting "in the dark" I'll use full manual and select everything myself to get the fastest possible shutter speed (because I'm usually using a prime with no IS then), but that is a lot of putzing around.

I generally leave my eV at either -2/3 or -1. I have seen it mentioned several times that anything over a full stop will degrade your image quality, but have never tested that myself.

Yea, I'm shooting in Av as per my usual. ISO set at 1600 for a fast shutter. I let the camera choose my shutter speeds though; I'm not good enough to match shutter speeds with what I want yet, just not enough experience.

If the camera adjusts shutter speed (faster) when you change exposure compensation, it shouldn't degrade at any setting. If it adjusts it after the fact in processing, I suppose I could see that making a difference in IQ. But it changes the entire image, whether it's -1/3 or -2, so I can't see one degrading worse than the other. :shrug:

But if it's on the internet, it must be true! :rofl: It doesn't make sense to me either, and I've never had the urge to test it.

Are you finding the overall image overexposed, or just blowing highlights?

The whole thing, top to bottom, is over-exposed. The camera seems to think it's darker than it really is, which is normal and expected for most cameras (so says Mr. Rockwell), over-compensating when they detect it's dark.

For instance, I was taking a picture of my radio setup last night. The resulting image is dead on for the lighting conditions and what it actually looked like, but it took -1.3eV to get there.

This was at f/3.5, 1/25 sec, ISO 1600 (look at the lack of noise at 1600!), 23 mm, -1.3 eV, no flash

hf-radio-setup.jpg

Unfortunately I deleted the ones taken at +/-0, for obvious reasons but I should have kept one for comparison.

I did not notice using exposure compensation differently from different camera bodies (XS, T2i, 6D), but haven't done any side-by-side comparisons. Is there some 'highlight compensation' feature that either camera has?

I am not familiar why (in-camera) exposure compensation over a full-stop would degrade image quality. Do you think it is related to RAW processing, and how you can often bump up a stop in post? I used to like shooting underexposed so I could keep my shutter speed up.

I am not familiar why (in-camera) exposure compensation over a full-stop would degrade image quality. Do you think it is related to RAW processing, and how you can often bump up a stop in post? I used to like shooting underexposed so I could keep my shutter speed up.

This is what I suspect. Adjusting exposure over a stop in post will definitely add noise. I don't recall where I've seen that mentioned, and it could be that I didn't understand the entire context when I have. It's not something I've specifically read up on, but seen when searching for other things.

I was trying to replicate what you're seeing, hokie, and I haven't been able to. I'll try some more tonight now that I have less light, because it was pretty bright in here this afternoon.

You're set eV -.7, sharp +6, sat +2?

Sharp +6, sat +2 (which isn't quite as strong as the T3's saturation at +2 thankfully). eV is adjusted to suit.

I'd say what you see is about right. Unfortunately, by the time I compress and upload them, the difference isn't as dramatic as what I'm seeing.

Your picture profile, efs 18-55@ 23mm, iso 1600, f3.5. Light source is a little 13w cfl spotlight with a diffuser in an otherwise dark room.

ev -.7
IMG_0019.jpg
eV -1.3
IMG_0020.jpg

Back