• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Photo of the Day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've been very busy with work, and now I have a backlog to sort/process several months' of photos...

IMG_6552-IMG_6567.jpg
Canon 6D, Rokinon 14mm 2.8, f8.0, 1/400s, ISO 100, 16 image panorama

With all the rain and flooding we've had here over the last month, it's pretty tough to find a waterfall around here that isn't dirty brown and doesn't have a pretty large debris field. Scouted out a couple yesterday that I'd never been to anyway, and it gave me a chance to try out the Big Stopper a little bit. This was taken at 10am, well past my normal time, but still in a pretty shaded area with the sun shining over the trees onto the falls.

Wolf Creek Falls

60D, 16-35L @ 16mm, f/16, 30sec
View attachment 146206

Wow, beautiful!
This is close (didn't have to travel far?) to where you live?

Wow, beautiful!
This is close (didn't have to travel far?) to where you live?

Thanks. That's in Banning State Park, an hour and 15 minutes north of me. There's another, larger falls (Big Spring Falls) at the southern end of the same park that I stopped by, but the water was very brown and I didn't like any of the handful of pics I took there. I'll go back after things calm down a bit. I'm pretty fortunate to live as close as I do to so many. Minnehaha is 35 minutes, Willow Falls is 40 minutes, Hidden Falls, Vermillion Falls (I haven't shot Vermillion yet) and Cascade Falls are all about an hour, Minneopa is about an hour and a half. All of these are easily accessible, only requiring anywhere from a 0-30 minute easy hike.

A shot of this evening's unexpectedly severe thunderstorm, complete with rotating wall cloud.

Shortly after this shot, the storm took off at lightspeed to the southeast and it was all I could do to keep up. Finally gave up and went back home to get night time lightning.

I do have a shot with some daytime lightning in the same shot as the wall cloud, but this shot is way cooler I think.

DSC_3643_S.jpg

A shot of this evening's unexpectedly severe thunderstorm, complete with rotating wall cloud.

Shortly after this shot, the storm took off at lightspeed to the southeast and it was all I could do to keep up. Finally gave up and went back home to get night time lightning.

I do have a shot with some daytime lightning in the same shot as the wall cloud, but this shot is way cooler I think.

View attachment 146271

Love that...Powerful!

Wow, you guys are posting some stellar images!! I was out of town over the weekend in DC. Here's hoping some of mine turned out well enough to post. :)

I managed to PP a couple photos from this weekend. Here is the Jefferson Memorial at the golden hour.

70D, EF-S 18-135 IS @ 113mm, f/5.6, 1/130 sec, ISO 100

14411649089_568f185012_b.jpg The Jefferson Memorial at the Golden Hour by hokiealumnus, on Flickr

As for the rest, please be gentle, this is my first attempt at fireworks and they were hand-held. I'm as wide as I can get to try and grab some reflection, so please forgive the foreground trees (though I think they actually add to the shots).

70D, EF-S 18-135 IS @ 18mm, f/3.5, 1/10 sec, ISO 640 (yes, that's 1/10, hand-held. :) )

14411811007_62a891932b_b.jpg Fireworks Reflecting off the Tidal Basin II by hokiealumnus, on Flickr

70D, EF-S 18-135 IS @ 18mm, f/3.5, 1/10 sec, ISO 500

14597585812_950084d5e1_b.jpg Fireworks Reflecting off the Tidal Basin by hokiealumnus, on Flickr

Last, but not least, a shot to show our full view during the fireworks, between the MLK, Jr. memorial and the FDR memorial on the tidal basin. We couldn't have asked for a better spot.

70D, EF-S 18-135 IS @ 18mm, f/3.5, 1/10 sec, ISO 1000

14594942091_7fef9d9f01_b.jpg July 4th Fireworks & the Washington Monument by hokiealumnus, on Flickr

Playing with the flash that I just got today! See it here.

T3, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, 20mm focal, f/5.6, 1/10 sec, ISO-100, External Flash
IMG_1455_Small.jpg

T3, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, 18mm focal, f/5.6, 1/15 sec, ISO-100, External Flash
IMG_1472_Small.jpg

P.S. I do not own an Xbox One, I just use the controller on PC.

Been pretty busy lately and haven't been out as much as I like, but did manage to chase some butterflies a little bit last weekend. I find that macro work in general has a bit more of a learning curve. With such a shallow depth of field, I really have a hard time figuring out how to get what I want. I end up deleting an awful lot of photos because of DOF or movement issues. I wish a little more of the wings would have been in focus on this one, but I still kind of like it.

IMG_1854.jpg

Smoke from distant forest fires, dead calm water, and sunset. All I needed to go out shooting today.

I really need to clean the D5100's sensor filter. I had way too many dust spots to edit out.

DSC_4083.jpg

It's not too bad - just enough to make the sunsets look good. I don't dare try to go jogging in this though, with my asthma.

It's definitely not a preferable situation, but the sunset you captured is absolutely beautiful.

I call this "stupid shallow" depth of field. Practice shot from when I first got the 100mm macro lens. It's a cracker on a paper towel, if anyone is wondering. Macro is fun but it certainly has its challenges.

ISO 400, 100mm, f/2.8, 1/60
shallow dof.jpg

Way too wide open for macro, especially being that close. Stopping down quite a lot should help.

Yeah, I stay between f/8 & f/11 now that I've had some practice with it. Need lots of light (or time) with it though.

Seeds Aldakoopa, not poo. :rofl:

Back