• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maximum safe Vcore of E6600 on air?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
uuhh...1.5-1.55, if thats too high for your cooler, (dont go over 65c under load) then just go as high as your cooler will allow. Im waiting till i get watercooling to unleash my beast cpu to its fullest.

Ya some where saying to me 1.45V max. I have it currently to 1.5V and just hitting in the low 50's for tempatures. I'm curious on it and if not mistaken I made a post on this but only got 1 response.

Trouble is, we really don't know for sure what the safe long term voltage limit is yet. I would probably guess 1.45v to 1.5v depending on temps and cooling.

batboy said:
Trouble is, we really don't know for sure what the safe long term voltage limit is yet. I would probably guess 1.45v to 1.5v depending on temps and cooling.

Agreed, its a complete unknown at this point in time.

The E6600 has an absolute maximum Vcore of 1.55 volts. As you approch this value, the life of your processor will quickly approch 0. Untill more is known about this processor, I would consider 1.45 Vcore value a rough point where the reduction in processor life balances out with the most gain in performance.

GigaForce310 said:
The E6600 has an absolute maximum Vcore of 1.55 volts.

Were did you read or how did you caculate this?
Or, did you mean absolute maximum safe vcore?

You guys beat me to it...

I place a lot of weight on the opinions of those with way more stars (especially when they are that pale yellow or that pretty blue colour) than me... tells me... these guys have been around the block a few times and their opinions can be trusted.

Then the question comes up what tempature is good. Everyone always says it depends on cooling, well what tempature should be considered safe to stay under then?

deathman20 said:
Then the question comes up what tempature is good. Everyone always says it depends on cooling, well what tempature should be considered safe to stay under then?

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=4670449&postcount=53

More investigation needed.

Intel's thermal spec. is for the top center of the IHS, the most accurate software monitors are coretemp and TAT wich measure core temperature.

It would take testing with a grove in graved into the IHS of a C2D to the center top of the IHS for the placement of a thermal probe to compare those temperatures with the core temperatures given by coretemp and TAT. To find the delta T between thermal spec. (top center of the IHS) and core temperature.

Using trottle watch to correct for TAT/coretemp against thermal throttle could give an estimation of the actual thermal spec. value vs. core temperature.

I hope I explained my thoughts on this in an understandable manner :)

Yeah, I really haven't known ANYBODY who's CD2 has actually died on them yet. I'm guessing it will be AT LEAST a year before that happens to the people that have their E6600s overclocked to 4.4ghz. Probably much shorter for the people that have their E6300s clocked that high. My load temps on my E6400 @ 3.04ghz (and 3.2ghz) are around 62c. And that's at 1.3v bios (1.312 CPUz).

For me I'm more worried about how many volts I'm putting into the thing than my temp. My load temp may be 62 in heavy synthetic testing, but there's no real-world equivalent that I've found. Heavy video editing... hardcore gaming... Multiple applications... I can't replicate that 62c anywhere other than the TAT stress test (it's even 59-60 in orthos). At 70c or near it I would be worried, but I can't get there.

Somehow 1.5vcore terrifies me. Just a gut feeling. Something about zapping the chip being much more likely than frying it. Temperatures are something you can keep an eye on. A "ZAP!" is random. It would just happen one day and your CPU would be dead with no warning.

So as long as I've got acceptable/slightly high temps at low volts, I'm happy.

Excessive voltage will kill a processor faster than excessive heat, but when you combine high vcore with high heat, that's a dangerous combination. Personally, I would keep temps below 60 degrees. If possible, closer to 50 degrees would be even better, especially if you are running higher voltages.

greenmaji said:
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=4670449&postcount=53

More investigation needed.

Intel's thermal spec. is for the top center of the IHS, the most accurate software monitors are coretemp and TAT wich measure core temperature.

It would take testing with a grove in graved into the IHS of a C2D to the center top of the IHS for the placement of a thermal probe to compare those temperatures with the core temperatures given by coretemp and TAT. To find the delta T between thermal spec. (top center of the IHS) and core temperature.

Using trottle watch to correct for TAT/coretemp against thermal throttle could give an estimation of the actual thermal spec. value vs. core temperature.

I hope I explained my thoughts on this in an understandable manner :)

Thats a pretty sweet read thanks for that.

thudo said:
I have a E6700 @ 3.66Ghz running w/Vcore 1.525V and it idles @ 37-38c and loads @ between 41-45c. Running Orthos I'll max @ 55c at the most stress. My specs are here: http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=4703496&postcount=29

I'm not too concerned about blowing the Processor for a long time to come - not at those temps.

1.525v @ only 3.66???? with my E6600 i can grab 3.780ghz @ 1.45V

nd4spdbh2 said:
1.525v @ only 3.66???? with my E6600 i can grab 3.780ghz @ 1.45V

And mine requires 1.525V for 3.485Ghz... Every chip is different.

I wouldn't exceed 1.55V under air or water for 24/7 usage.

http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm#intel

GigaForce310 said:
The E6600 has an absolute maximum Vcore of 1.55 volts. As you approch this value, the life of your processor will quickly approch 0.

No need to be an alarmist. There are many who have been running more than 1.55V for months without any problems whatsoever. However, I'm curious to see what issues, if any, they might face 6-12 months down the road, though. Like I said, I wouldn't do it, but there are more than a few who have done this and are still doing this without issues. People at XS come to mind.

Back