• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8-pin PCI-E diagram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zim2411

I've been looking for this for a while and I have not found anything. Could someone provide a diagram of the 8 pin PCI-E connector?

I have a 2900 XT and a 1kw BFG power supply, but it has 4 6 pin outputs. I'm just trying to hack something together to see what this ATI Overdrive is about.

It has the same pin configuration as the 6 pin, it just has 2 extra pins :)

An additional 12v line and ground?
I believe so, but don't quote me on that. The wires on my Corsair are all black, so I don't know off the top of my head which ones are 12v or ground :shrug:

pcieplugdiagramoa5.png

I do beleive that would be correct.

and http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#pciexpress8

Omg that Invader Zim show used to scare me when I was little... :)

Actually.....

The extra wire on the +12V row is supposed to be a +12V sense.

The +12V sense tells the PSU if the +12V goes out of spec.

All of the PSU's I've ever seen don't use the +12V sense. They just tap off the ground. By grounding the +12V sense, the graphics card is fooled into thinking there's a +12V sense present.

Actually.....

The extra wire on the +12V row is supposed to be a +12V sense.

The +12V sense tells the PSU if the +12V goes out of spec.

All of the PSU's I've ever seen don't use the +12V sense. They just tap off the ground. By grounding the +12V sense, the graphics card is fooled into thinking there's a +12V sense present.
So it is a safety wire and we are just rendering that safety useless. Awesome :)

At the same rate though we're also being just as smart as the electronics engineers who decided to just make them ground lines! Wooooo us!

Back