• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No overclocking on Nehalem!!??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dawgdoc

No easy workaround

As we told you some time ago, Intel has put in what can only be called an overclocking lock in the upcoming LGA1160 processors which are currently going under the codenames of Lynnfield and Havendale.

Until now, we didn't know how this had been implemented, but we've learned some more about it and it looks like there is no easy workaround. As these processors have the memory controller and a few more bits integrated into the CPU itself, Intel suddenly has a lot more control than it has had with past designs that utilized a separate chipset which contains the memory controller.

As Intel seems to want to push the much more expensive Bloomfield platform to overclockers, the company implemented a lock that prevents these new processors from being overclocked by adding two PLL clock generators, one inside the CPU itself and one in the PCH.

This might not sound like it's a big problem in itself, but what Intel has done is that these two will clock generators will reference each other; and this means that just changing the bus speed won't have any effect if you're trying to overclock the CPU as it will dissregard the information from the PCH if it's not a correct value.

There might still be options for overclocking these CPU's, but our understanding is that this isn't easily done and Intel doesn't want it to be, and as such Intel is unlikely to give out this information to third-party motherboard manufacturers.

The sum of all this is that Intel might lose out a few enthusiast users that don't have deep enough pockets to get a Bloomfield system to AMD, which might not be a bad thing for AMD in the end.

Source: http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7255&Itemid=35

If this is true, Intel = FAIL! WTH are they thinking? :screwy:

Supposedly word 'around the net' is that mobo manufactures should be able to make a workaround, but either way it is not something that looks to be in our best interests.

Comments? Input?

Slight update:

Only Bloomfield-based CPUs will overclock

We've learned that Intel is going to change its policy on overclocking once it moves away from the LGA775 platform onto the desktop Nehalem platform, which is currently known as Bloomfield, which uses the LGA1366 socket. This will be the only platform from Intel which will overclock in the future, as the company is not going to support overclocking on other platforms.

Below the Bloomfield is the Lynnfield and Havendale processors, both using the LGA1160 socket. Neither of these are likely to get any overclocking abilities, although we're not sure how Intel can prevent third-party motherboard manufacturers from adding overclocking features to their boards.

However, with most of the Northbridge being located inside the CPU of these models, it might be possible for Intel to make some changes as to what the BIOS can access and how the bus speed is controlled. If this is indeed the case, then this is very sad news for all enthusiasts, as it means that a huge group of users will never be able to afford to buy an overclockable platform, from Intel, that is.

It's early days as yet and Intel might change its stance on this, but we find it peculiar that they've decided on this move; but it's never easy to figure out the reason why Intel does something.

Source: http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6965&Itemid=1

We need to wait and see how the prices on the 1366 socket are going to look like.

Most benchers buy 250+ mobos and 300+ CPU's anyways and I would imagine that would be somewhere near the price of entry for the higher end socket.

Intel is mad at smart overclockers that take E2160's and get 100% overclocks I guess.

My viewpoint is that Nehalem as a whole is not going to clock as well as C2D, anyone thinking they are going to get savage 50% overclocks on air may have a rude awakening.

Not to mention speed scaling is at a wall and is not going to go much higher much faster, we'll just be getting tons and tons of cores / threads. I would imagine 3.0GHz-3.6GHz is going to be the stock standard for a while, but we've seen before that 4 cores @ 3.0GHz destroys even faster clocked cpu's with less cores. For this reason I expect overclockability to be inversely proportional to cores, more cores, less overclockable.

Computing power is in the hands of software developers now, utilizing all the cores/threads in an efficient manner in conjuction with moving to 64bit apps.

Larabee will probably be really fun to overclock though.

Last edited:
The source isnt the best. In any event, why wouldnt they lock the chips? They have no real competition now with AMD lagging behind. They can now lock the chips and make more money from people to get the higher speed chips.

This is one of the things that happens when competition fails.

The source isnt the best. In any event, why wouldnt they lock the chips? They have no real competition now with AMD lagging behind. They can now lock the chips and make more money from people to get the higher speed chips.

This is one of the things that happens when competition fails.

Agreed.

Sigh @ stock Intels beating slightly overclocked AMD's.

But I mean the CPU power jump from C2D -> Nehalem is going to be huge (P4 -> C2D or more) and the only thing you really need a lot of cpu power for are the best / overclocked gpus in SLI / Xfire.

The only real gripe would be if you have a nice gpu setup and they are bottlenecked by a cpu you can't overclock.

Edit - Actually come to think of it that makes perfect sense. Intel will want to push it's own GPU platform (Larabee) so I guess they would want their cpu's bottlenecking Nvidia / ATI gpus to make their own GPU look better. Touche Intel, touche.

I'm undecided on Larrabee. I mean, we all know what Intel's integrated graphics are like so I'm not expecting too much. But it will be interesting.

I'm undecided on Larrabee. I mean, we all know what Intel's integrated graphics are like so I'm not expecting too much. But it will be interesting.
True, but remember they have the money to throw around. Im sure the time they spent for the IGPs was next to nothing in comparasion to CPU but if they put the time and effort into the GPU they could analiate.

Remember they are capable of making the fastest CPU, whats to stop them from taking over the GPU crown?

alot of people commenting here seem young, no offense. intel was in the video card market along time ago with the 740i. the big downfall for that video card was lack of driver support/updates from intel. they were able to do pretty well agianst ATI/NV, as i recall in sometests they cam in 2nd many others 3rd. considering it was there first big video card intel showed what they could do, half-assin it. think of what they do when they actually try...more options for video cards the better IMO, im a bit tired of seeing just NV and ATI, i just wish someone helped out 3DFX back in the day..

alot of people commenting here seem young, no offense. intel was in the video card market along time ago with the 740i. the big downfall for that video card was lack of driver support/updates from intel. they were able to do pretty well agianst ATI/NV, as i recall in sometests they cam in 2nd many others 3rd. considering it was there first big video card intel showed what they could do, half-assin it. think of what they do when they actually try...more options for video cards the better IMO, im a bit tired of seeing just NV and ATI, i just wish someone helped out 3DFX back in the day..

That was a quick joint venture with Lockheed-Martin and Real3D to showcase AGP at the time (AGP 2x with sidebands, no less!). It did well but was somewhat late to market, and nVidia countered very quickly with their Riva TNT and even Matrox's G200 was better iirc (even though getting it to AGP 2x with sidebands was a chore on Super Socket 7 boards...).

Too bad their i752 was junk but they did notice a trend toward integrated graphics being the big thing and even now, integrated graphics outsells discrete cards.....so...

In any case, i hope the boardmakers can find a way around the clock locks like they always seem to have for us enthusiasts.

If they do this and AMD starts to make good overclockable chips, the whole enthusiast community will switch over to AMD again. Intel is just being stupid if they were to lock down overclocking. Why the hell do they think we are getting all these expensive hardwares if not for the sake of overclocking?!

I mean, we all know what Intel's integrated graphics are like

What are you referring to? The rock solid stability? Leading 2d performance? Best drivers? Open source drivers? The efficiency?

Intel graphics cards are exactly what Intel wants them to be. Low 3d performance is a matter of intentional design for Intel. That just hasn't been their market. I don't think we have any reason to believe that the larabee will be anything but awesome.

Indeed Us < Them (business boxes/home/office/etc PCs).

That said, I could understand maybe doing this with Celeron style chips. This just seems kind of silly since overclockers are a small minority and only a couple companies will actually sell an overclocked box. Perhaps Socket 1160 will only be for low end/mobile parts a la what S754 became on the AMD side of things once Socket 939 came out.

What are you referring to? The rock solid stability? Leading 2d performance? Best drivers? Open source drivers? The efficiency?

Intel graphics cards are exactly what Intel wants them to be. Low 3d performance is a matter of intentional design for Intel. That just hasn't been their market. I don't think we have any reason to believe that the larabee will be anything but awesome.

I agree.

With reference to the comment above i do not believe enthusiasts hold a small market share sure we are in the minority compared to the oem and business/Server market but at the same time there are a whole lot of gamers trying to squeeze every last fps out of the latest and greatest just type overclocking in to google to see just how popular some 27,000,000 pages last i looked.

Screw intel. Started with AMD and I can end with AMD for all I care. Most of you guys don't know how much of intel is filled with complete anuses.

Back