• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4GBs RAM, 32/64bit OSs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nightelph

This post is intended to be a handy quick reference to address common questions concerning Windows operating systems and large amounts of installed memory. If anyone would like to add to it, make a correction, or a suggestion, just post or PM me and I will edit it.

Common Question: "I installed four gigs of ram in my computer but Windows says I only have 3.12!"

Cause: All 32bit processors and OSs support 32bits of physical address space which allows software to address a total of 4GB. However, your BIOS reserves space for your graphics card and other peripherals, as does (sometimes) some of your drivers. Why? “This is because some physical address space must be reserved as I/O regions for memory mapped peripherals. These I/O regions are allocated between the 3 GB physical address and the 4 GB upper physical address limit. Physical memory addresses that are mapped to these I/O regions cannot be used to address physical system memory. These addresses also cannot be used to prevent the operating system from using some physical memory that would ordinarily be accessed between the 3GB physical address and the 4GB upper physical address limit. The size of these I/O regions varies from system to system because they determine the type and configuration of the system’s peripherals.” MS Link

Solution 1: If your processor supports x64 extensions, here’s a list, then the technically superior method is to load a 64bit version of the OS you want to use. Sometimes this incurs a small upgrade fee from MS, sometimes it involves buying a new OS outright. Depending on which version of Windows you buy, you can address up to 128GB of RAM.

Solution 2: Use PAE Mode. PAE is another way to address more than 4GBs or RAM; up to 128GBs in a 32bit environment. This method is limited to select versions of Windows Server only.

Note: Vista SP1 will report how much memory is physically installed on the machine, as opposed to how much is available to the OS. MS Link

Note: Systems with more than 4GBs of ram cannot be put into Hibernation. MS Link

Note: 32bit versions of Windows allow only 2GB of memory per process. However, some applications can take advantage of a feature available in select versions of Windows which allows the use of 3GB of RAM to be allocated to the user-mode process. This feature can also be utilized to allot 4GBs of ram to a 32bit processs within a 64bit environment. MS Link, MS Link

Note: 16bit programs will NOT work in a 64bit environment. Keep in mind that the installer for some 32bit applications are 16bit.

Note: If you have 4GBs of RAM and a 64-bit version of windows but it still reports 3.xx, then run msconfig from the Run prompt. Within the System Configuration Utility, navigate to the 'BOOT.INI' tab, click the 'Advanced Options' button. Make sure the '/MAXMEM=' option isn't checked. If it is checked, uncheck it and reboot.

Last edited:
Thread updates:

1.31.10: Updated broken MS link.

Last edited:
I know the posts in the memory forum will go down but I have answered at least 10 of thses threads.

Please Sticky This!!!

Yeah, this was a good idea that needed to be done. There are so many threads asking "Why doesn't my computer see all my ram" being posted all the time. Thanks for making a nice short sweet post explaining it all. :)

You REALLY need to mention in there that true PAE support with Microsoft operating systems is only available on Server editions. There is NO WAY TO ENABLE TRUE PAE FOR >4GB MEMORY SUPPORT ON NON-SERVER WINDOWS.

According to the MS Link I posted; "The information in this article applies to Windows 2000, Windows XP Professional, Windows Server 2003, and later versions of these operating systems." - MS

I do agree that its is way more practical to use PAE on Server OSs than desktop ones. Can you explain technically why 'true pae' cannot be enable on a desktop os?

Last edited:
The PAE available on non-server/enterprise editions is a limited subset to allow DEP to function. It does NOT allow access to >4GB memory. Did you read to the bottom of the page?
Windows and PAE
Windows Version Support

Windows 2000 Professional
Windows XP
AWE API and 4 GB of physical RAM

Windows XP SP2 and later
AWE API and 4 GB of physical address space

Windows 2000 Server
Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
AWE API and 4 GB of RAM

Windows Server 2003 SP1, Standard Edition
AWE API and 4 GB of physical address space

Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
8 processors and 32 GB RAM

Windows Server 2003 SP1, Enterprise Edition
8 processors and 64 GB RAM

Windows 2000 Advanced Server
8 processors and 8 GB RAM

Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
32 processors and 32 GB RAM (support for 64 GB was not offered because of a lack of systems for testing)

Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition
32 processors and 64 GB RAM

Windows Server 2003 SP1, Datacenter Edition
32 processors and 128 GB RAM

Busted. That chart isn't on my printout that I read. I'll update the main post. Thanks for the correction.

Back