• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just ordered my first build in years! What do you think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

replete

Registered
Has anyone sound-proofed a HAF 922? For new 920 build

I started out wanting the new Phenom 1090T, but after doing LOTS of research around this place, I have settled on the following components for my build with a budget of £1000.

My question now, is has anyone sound-proofed a HAF 922?

• ASUS P6T iX58 Socket 1366 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard
  • OCZ 60GB 2.5" SATAII Agility Series Solid State Drive 64MB Cache 230MB/s Readand 135MB/s Write
  • Corsair CWCH50-1 Cooling Hydro Series H50 High-performance CPU Cooler supports LGA1156 LGA775 LGA1366 AM2 and AM3 processors
  • Coolermaster HAF 922 Mid Tower Case - No PSU
  • Seagate ST3500418AS 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache - OEM (*2)
  • OCZ 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 Reaper Triple Channel Kit CL7 1.65V (__should run at 6-6-6 @1600__)
  • Coolermaster RealPower 620W Modular PSU - SLI Ready
  • All in 1 Internal Card Reader Plus One USB2.0 Port Black - 3.5" Bay
  • Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Desktop EX 110 - USB/PS2
  • StarTech External USB to SATA Hard Drive Dock Hi Speed USB - Black
  • Intel Core i7 920 D0 2.66GHz Socket 1366 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
  • XFX 5850 1GB DDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Display Port Out PCI-E Graphics Card With Assassins Creed Game

So guys, Assuming I get a good i920, what can I expect to get out of this setup?

Looking forward to hanging around and becoming a part of the community!

Last edited:
Well, if you want a good nice stable and cool 4ghz overclock w/ HyperThreading on that i7, Id suggest replacing the fan on the H50. H50 is a great cooler, but the stock fan is its real weakpoint. Id go w/ a push pull setup if at all possible. Maybe get a couple medium speed Scythe Kazes (unless you dont mind noise, then go with some Deltas/San Aces :D) and run push pull. I have 2xDelta 38mm fans @ 5v, and it cooled it off TREMENDOUSLY over stock fan (10c).

You shouldnt have an issu ehitting 4ghz though. With some higher speed fans, you might be able to push 4.2ghz daily (unless you have a great chip, then you might not need highspeed fans).

Awesome! I think I've made a good choice.

I was thinking about this, I bought the HAF 922 for the looks, space and the cooling. But I haven't considered something reasonably important to me - the noise levels. Has anyone sound-proofed a HAF 922?

its nearly impossible to soundproof it unless you get rid of the access door that is basically a 12"x12" mesh opening..

unless you are running some high flow noisy fans you should be fine. I run the stock top/front fans that come with the haf922, added a 120 noname fan for exhaust for now running at 100%, 2x scythe s-flex fans on my HSF running at 100% and the noise is noticeable, but not even a thought when you have a game going with the sound up..

the only time I hear my case is when its getting really hot and the gpu fan kicks into 70%+ since the card fan is near the door mesh.. OR when I have my panaflo turned on (its on the mesh door).. that things a screamer

as doz said, high speed fans are louder.. if noise is an issue go for some scythe s-flex or gentle typhoons, xigmateks, yate loon low or medium speeds.. if you got cash to spare.. go with noctua fans they seem to be pretty silent even at higher speeds..

I'd run most of your fans off an independant fan controller instead of the board so you can controll the noise that much better.. i use a sunbeam rheobus 4channel.. still have 1 channel left after 8 fans..

Back