• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap dual input thermometer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CgS Drone

Someone posted a link to this thermometer and I ended up buying one of them to give it a try (Heck for $48 shipped I figured it would be fun to see), it should be here around March 5. I will test it next to my Fluke and let you all know how it does. Also if whoever posted the original on this (I can't remember which thread it was in) bought one and has received it how is it doing?

Specs claim it goes down to -200C (-328F). I will take the probes from both and put them in a pot with some Dry Ice and see what they both read. If Super has some LN2 around that time and he doesn't mind I may go over there and drop the probes down into it as well and compare readings and I will post back and let you know. Heck who knows by now my Fluke is probably off some as well.

Attachments

• thermo1.JPG
    thermo1.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 179
  • thermo2.JPG
    thermo2.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 178
more important than anything is usability, which is to say, can you find CB and CBB with it, and are they consistent?

more important than anything is usability, which is to say, can you find CB and CBB with it, and are they consistent?

If anything it would be the thermocouple that would determine consistency of the reading since it creates the milliamps that the meter reads to generate the display in temp (easily replaced). I know the Fluke 16 claims it only reads down to -40C in its specs. but it will display a reading further down, I am guessing the reason they say only to -40C is because that is as low as it was designed to read the milliamps accurately. Dirty contact surface on the plug alone could effect the reading. I think it would be more of a matter of the quality of the thermocouple and the quality of the connection to the meter :shrug:

I have used the expensive Fluke thermocouples and the cheaper Fieldpiece thermocouples side by side and there wasn't a difference when taking reading doing refrigeration.

All I can do it check it out to see if its a decent low cost alternative for people wanting to get into extreme cooling, I can compare it side by side with a Fluke 87-V and if Super doesn't mind we can use his in the test as well (not sure what version of the Fluke he has) I will also try to borrow a Fluke 16 that I gave to a friend of mine, if not then at least we will know. :thup:

Last edited:
It creates the mv, but all the other junctions of dissimilar metals also create mv based on temps.

OK mv, my bad but the principle is still the same. Getting to use to the new systems that use flame sensors and micro amps :D

Got the meter in today. I only had a drop of LN2 left in the Dewar. The differences of the readings are well withing the error of the K-thermocouple. It is much faster on the response time than the Fluke 51 or my Fluke 87-V. It took 30 days to get it from the guy selling out of Hong Kong is the only down side that I seen.

Attachments

• NM.jpg
    NM.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 134
Can you change the setting to Celsius? To see if it's any more/less accurate temp wise.

Fahrenheit has higher temp resolution (because the divisions are smaller). If there's any difference, barring a conversional error in the programming, it will be more evident in Fahrenheit.

+1, I wanna know as well. I may love to pick up a second thermo if it's close to my price range.

On a side note, where has CgS_Drone been?!? :shrug:

Count me in for wanting to know, i need some of these guys.

Guys... Joe (Cgs Drone) has been taking a break from benching. I don't know when he's coming back, but I'm pretty sure he'll be back sooner or later.

As for that thermocouple...

Here is where he got it from

That's not too bad. How much do the Flukes cost though?

I got my Fluke 51 I for something like $40.... Actually Joe (CGs Drone) got it for me from an ebay listing where some guy had about 20 of them almost new... I think a bunch of people here got some of those from that listing as well.

The cheapest one I can find listed on ebay of the same model that I have is at $59.00 + $6 S&H. It would be delivered to you much quicker than the one mentioned on previous posts as that one comes from Hong Kong.

I have the same one (bought it because of this thread), works perfectly fine, and can't complain about the price $50 shipped!

Back