• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]2010 LCD Buying Basics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

2010 LCD Buying Basics
by nightelph and aznkc730

A decade into the 21st century, LCDs are no longer luxury items, but now a de facto part of every desktop PC. Increased competition and production by manufacturers are to thank for the affordability of LCDs today, but the flooding of the market with seemingly infinite choices have made choosing the right LCD more and more difficult. With that said, this guide is meant to help the average user quickly sort through the choices, and find the LCD that's right for them.

Click here to continue reading.

Click here to view the original thread by aznkc730 that prompted this article.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus. For the latest updates, follow Overclockers.com on Twitter (@Overclockerscom).

Last edited by a moderator:
very good artical, glad I have one well laid out place to point people to for this Info .

Very nice :thup:

Now for the article on LCD recommendations for each panel type :p

We really need something like this as a sticky in the Displays and Imaging Devices section. Every day there are people asking these type of questions.

Im Not A Professional Graphics Artist Or Anything But Id Take An S-IPS Panel Over A TN+Film Panel ANY Day, They Arent Exactly Unaffordable You Just Gotta Look Around, NEC Makes A 23" S-IPS For Just Over $300.00

I Play Alot Of Games But I Think Color Accuracy Is Important, The More Realistic The Colors In The Games, The More Realistic The Game Is.

Im Currently Running Dual Monitors On My Mid-End Gaming PC, A 20" DELL 2001FP S-IPS (Main) And A 19" Sanyo LCD HDTV TN+Film.

The 2001FP Is Only Rated 16ms But Actually Has Less Artifacts And Smearing Than My Friends 24" 4ms Rated TN+Film Gaming Monitor (You Cant Really See It On Ither Display Unless Your Paying VERY Close Attention) But My Color Accuracy Is MUCH More Noticable.

We really need something like this as a sticky in the Displays and Imaging Devices section. Every day there are people asking these type of questions.

New people don't usually bother to look at the stickies before posting questions that are already answered :(

this site will help you find the limitations / weakness of a LCD monitor.
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

notes:
1) you need to bring a netbook / laptop, plus connect to monitor via hdmi/vga/dvi and run the test at native resolution to do this test.
2) this test is ineffective for CRTs, but still educational to try it, because even old CRTs will ace majority of these tests.

Also, smallest 1080p should be 23", IMHO. I tried 21.5" 1080p and the text at default resolution is too small. Pictures look nice since the dot pitch is small, but when you read web pages, you need to enlarge the text. I think those 1080p laptop 17" displays are impractical.

Finally, if you are a gamer, better match your display res. w/ the right video card.

Last edited:
Back