• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Rosewill RHTS-8206 5.1 Surround Sound with Vibration

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Once again, it is review time. Can this reviewer be amazed by claims of 5.1 surround on a headset? Does the addition of vibration-feedback improve the experience? Is it possible Newegg is the best packager in the business despite how much Fed-Ex abuses the packages? Will I still be able to ask questions by the end of this review? Come inside and read to find out!

... Return to article to continue reading.

:thup:i want some ;) nice review!
they look comfy to dunk some noobs in.

Vibration?

The last time I saw head phones with that, my Panasonic portable player and headphones.

Panasonic calls it VMSS. (virtual motion sound system, IIRC)
(It was discontinued at least about 100 moons ago!) (This was in the later 1990s.)

Most folks never even heard of VMSS, because it was discontinued back in the 1990s!
Discontinued in a short time!

from my personal guess (which i will not confirm until the headphones die, as i love them and use them all the time), there are springs inside the cans (can hear them if i have nothing playing through them and i tap the outside of the cans) that the vibration setting somehow changes tension on them to let them vibrate more and more.

Thank you for the review! I've been in the market for a new headset and wanted something besides Turtle Beach. After learning that these have a removable boom mic, I'm gonna order a set and try em out.

the boom mic isn't removable, but you can position it almost any way you want to. The best way to think of it is like a slinky. It holds it's position but moves like a slinky.

the boom mic isn't removable, but you can position it almost any way you want to. The best way to think of it is like a slinky. It holds it's position but moves like a slinky.

I read this off of Newegg's review page; can you confirm?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826193069

Manufacturer Response:

Dear Valued Customer,
In regards to the boom mic, you're in for a treat. Pull on the boom mic and it will actually detach itself from the headset. gragb the part of the boom that is attached to the earpiece and then use your other hand to pull the boom.
Thanks,
Rosewill Customer Care

Console Compatible??

I bought this headset primarily for my PS3. When i plug it in, the light on the headset turns on, but i cant get any sound to come through it. Any feedback would be helpful, thank you. But if you are buying these for PC, its definetly worth the money.

I don't have a PS3 so i cannot comment on whether or not it works. As for the detachable mic boom, i will check when I get home from work this evening. As far as I know, it does not detach, and was not in the instructions or anywhere on the box. As for the Xbox 360, while I have one, I have not hooked it in as I never thought about it. I can try that this evening as well.

But, it could be one of those little 'perks'.

The mic is detachable. just pull on the mic's bendable cord and it should pop out, with a headphone jack at the end.

Confirmed: Mic boom is detachable. Though I have no reason to detatch it, for those that do, yes, it is detachable.

Busted: Xbox connectivity. Plugging it in freezes the 360. Upon reboot, it freezes partway through the first boot animation. Also does this on a friend's 360.

Skullcandy vibrators and this should come in very handy for my next LAN party...

Oh dear... seems like you need to change up the wording there a little haha

On a side note if I'm not mistake the vibrations are caused by a motor, or at least I was lead to believe that in the case of Skullcandy's headphones.

at first i thought it was a little motor like is used in game controllers for force feedback. Then after hearing the springs in it after accidentals tapping the headset with my finger while i had them on and no sound going through them, i can pretty much say it is some sort of spring/tension system. It is the same vibrating 'sproing' sound you get like if you hit a spring doorstop.

I could believe it's springs, I mean it makes sense. I'm just wondering how turning the dial in the control module adjusts tension in the spring.

when they die, i definitely will tear them apart just to figure it out. I just hope they don't die for a long time because I really, really, REALLY enjoy them.

I used to have some that appeared to be pretty similar to them about 5 years ago that I liked actually and can't even remember the name of, I'm half wondering if the makers of them didn't get bought by Rosewill because they perform somewhat similar, the ones I used had funky LED's in them that I turned off though :p

These old guys I guess, after reading the review I had to look them up, they had the vibration on them also.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826289001

Last edited:
Back