• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin PC3000 Cannot hack it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

{PMS}fishy

I have a 256mb stick of this ram and it cannot do anythign over 170 on fastest timmings. Should I call them, or call newegg. I purchased it less than a moth ago, and I am not happy with its less than stelar performance.

Go to the rma section in newegg and request an rma, state that the ram would not do the rated timings. I'm not sure what the warranty is for that ram and if its with newegg after 30 days or just mushkin. Newegg makes it very easy to rma things because they record all your purchases and give you a drop down menu with everything you bought and all you have to do is select the component you want to rma.

Well I had a long reply but computer locked up. Now Im down to 166. Isn't mushkin's customer service suposed to be the best? Would they send me a new stick like Crucial before I send mine back. I know newegg will not do that.

My 512mb Mushkin PC3000 is performing better then what its rated at. Check sig for O/C, mem settings are on Turbo.

You might have a bottleneck using the 8kha board. I am able to use the same settings with my 8k3a board also.

make sure you don't pump up the mem voltage too high
as they tend to not like it. my mushkin is awesome!

try a different bios. i did and it is now great! :p don't give up
so soon

Yes call up Mushkin.. .They will send out a stick right away. But i'm not sure since you didnt buy it from them but it prob doesn't matter.

As for what to get next... Your guess is as good as mine since they are all using Samsung chips.

you are missing the point. The MEMORY it self is tested to do 183 at slowest timings. Your systems is not.

Meaning that IF your ssytem parts will take a 183 FSB than the memory will do it. If you AGAp card, or NIC or sound does not like the bus speeds at that high of a FSb tehn the mem or PC will just lock up.

If you call for an RMA i doubt youll get on if there mem wont do 183 due to your system, and RMA is only lfor an actual physicla problem with the stick it self. I can do 183 with a GFX /NIC/ Sound CArd
193 wiht only NIC and GFX and oaver 200 with only GFX. The pci cards hold u back.

Best way to find out if your system isint up to task is to run a program called Memtest86... you can find a link on Mushkins site where the mem test link is on the bottom left..

Anyways... Run that program that you downloaded and it will copy itself to a floppy... Put the floppy in the drive and then take out all the PCI cards.. Just leave what you need to boot in there like the mem and CPU and the Graphics card. Run the memtest program at like 175FSB and see what happends... The program is sweet cause you can just jump to anyone of the tests that it runs... I've noticed that test 5-7 are the best testing for stablility.. Just hit the c key durring the testing and then hit 2,5 then select the test then hit enter then 0.. Thats just the numbers to select to get threw the menu.. Anyways you will see it..

So just start testing away...

first off do not run memtest86. it is the most incorrect mem program out on the market. I assure you on a totally stable system it will give u literally THOUSANDS of erros, i got 9000 errors running stocks and this happends to 9% of the systems out there. IT was origianally developed to run on a ECS K75SA AMD mobo, to test tha mem controller and how it uses the mem signals. This was explained to my while ii was on the phone with ECS after getting a board from them and it was total crap.

if you dont believe me set ur system to stock (whre it will run a mem bench for days and days with no lockup) and urn memtest86 and see how many THOUSANDS of errors it says you have.

my 4yr old can write better progs that that :)

Hell i've run that program for over 12 hours a few times at 170 FSB max settings and hav'nt got any errors... When i go to high is will let me know almost instantly... usually test 6 or 7 will come up with a few hundred errors...

I still say use it for testing... Its either that or corrupt your Windows OS or Registery...or trash your raid array.. i'd rather use that program first to see what stable is first.

oc jason said:
first off do not run memtest86. it is the most incorrect mem program out on the market. I assure you on a totally stable system it will give u literally THOUSANDS of erros, i got 9000 errors running stocks and this happends to 9% of the systems out there. IT was origianally developed to run on a ECS K75SA AMD mobo, to test tha mem controller and how it uses the mem signals. This was explained to my while ii was on the phone with ECS after getting a board from them and it was total crap.

if you dont believe me set ur system to stock (whre it will run a mem bench for days and days with no lockup) and urn memtest86 and see how many THOUSANDS of errors it says you have.

my 4yr old can write better progs that that :)

i have to disagree with u, i use memtest86 and if it generates errors, the system ends up fux0ring up eventually.

it has worked perfect on my 8KHA+, Dragon+, and now the KX7

THough with teh KT333 chipset ya have a 5th divider which is put everything back to 33 when ya set the FSB to 166 on some boards... On Abits KX7 you can set either the 5th or 4th divider. Which is nice!

Oh by the way... I just recieved my 2 sticks of PC3000 from Mushkin and they SUCK! There not really stable at 170 max timings.. They error right away in Memtest86 v3.0 at 175 max settings and 2.85 volts.

hehe i had better results with the DTL samsung original pc2700 that i have had.

What i'm thikning is that whatever stick does good they put it in the PC2100 High Pref Level 2 cas2 2-2-2 bin and eerything else goes to the 2700 and 3000-3200.. They are using bad samsung Rev D DTL chips on there ram at this moment cause Samsung aint making the C CTL sticks anymore unless ya want to order a million chips at once.

So for now... Might want to look elsewhere.

KnownKiller said:
THough with teh KT333 chipset ya have a 5th divider which is put everything back to 33 when ya set the FSB to 166 on some boards... On Abits KX7 you can set either the 5th or 4th divider. Which is nice! [/QUOTE

Yeah at 166 you back in spec, but over that you are out of spec again. Its not fixed like on the P4 boards.

Back